Thursday, January 31, 2013

INFO: Publishing opportunity with Elsevier/Academic Press

Colleagues – Elsevier is looking to publish in all areas of geropsychology, and specifically in social cognition and aging, resiliency in aging, learning and memory in aging, and geriatric neuropsychology.  If you are interested in working on a book with them, please contact:

EMILY EKLE
Senior Acquisitions Editor, Psychology
Elsevier / Academic Press
213.309.9860

Erin E. Emery, Ph.D.
Director of Geriatric and Rehabilitation Psychology
Project and Clinical Director, BRIGHTEN Program
Rush University Medical Center
Assistant Professor, Rush University
Department of Behavioral Sciences
710 S. Paulina St., Suite 431
Chicago, IL  60612
(312) 942-6294
erin_emery@rush.edu

Everything is connected; nothing lasts; you are not alone. - Lewis Richmond

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

AWARDS: Division 20 Award Applications Due March 15, 2013

Dear Division 20 colleagues,

It is time to nominate a D20 colleague (or yourself) for the 2013 Division 20 Awards! The deadline for all Division 20 award applications is March 15, 2013. The Division 20 web site provides more detailed information about each specific award: http://www.apadivisions.org/division-20/awards/index.aspx

Please send student award materials (which includes the Division 20 Doctoral Dissertation Award and the Walter G. McMillen Memorial Award for Parkinson's Disease Research) to Cory Bolkan at d20awardstu@gmail.com

Please send other award materials (which includes the John Santos Distinguished Program Development in Clinical Gerontology Award, Baltes Distinguished Research Achievement Award, M. Powell Lawton Career Achievement Award in Applied Gerontology, Division 20 Mentorship Award, and the Springer Early Career Achievement Award in Research on Adult Development and Aging) to Karen Roberto at d20awards@gmail.com

Please submit all award application materials in one pdf document to facilitate the review process.

We look forward to receiving your award applications.

Sincerely,

Cory Bolkan & Karen Roberto
Awards Committee Co-Chairs

Monday, January 28, 2013

JOBS: Post-doctoral Fellowship in Palliative Care

Hello listserve,

Below you will find the announcment for our Palliative Care
Fellowship here at the South Texas Veteran's Health Care System
located in San Antonio, TX. We are excited to announce that this year
we have received funding for an additional position and will have 2
slots available for trainees. If you have any questions please feel
free to contact me as well.

Clinical Psychology Post-Doctoral Residency
with an emphasis in Palliative Care

The Psychology Service at the South Texas Veterans Health Care System
(STVHCS) is seeking to fill 2 positions for an APA-Accredited
Post-Doctoral Residency in Clinical Psychology, with an emphasis in
Palliative Care. The STVHCS Clinical Residency is fully accredited by
the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological
Association.

Residency Description: The Palliative Care Post-Doctoral Residency
program aims to train the selected resident in a new field in
psychology, treating patients with end-of-life issues or with severe
chronic medical conditions. Historically, the purpose of palliative
care is to provide "comfort care" to patients with a terminal illness.
However, palliative care psychology has expanded its reach to include
primary prevention of disease, disease management, services for those
in advanced illness, care for the actively dying, caregiver support ,
and bereavement.

Residents working in palliative care have opportunities to provide
services on an interprofessional team in a variety of settings,
including inpatient hospice, outpatient palliative care service,
consultation services throughout the hospital, geriatric medicine, and
within the community living center. Additionally, they are offered the
opportunity to provide preventative care and disease management
services in a variety of settings, including such places as primary
care clinics, geriatrics extended care, and the spinal cord injury
unit. Interdisciplinary teams in palliative care include nurses,
physicians, chaplains, physical therapists, occupational therapists,
recreational therapists, social workers, dietitians, and pharmacists.
Services provided in palliative care include, but are not limited to,
the following: individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy,
neuropsychological testing, bereavement counseling, relaxation
therapy, pain management services, consultation with other providers,
and psychoeducational presentations. The resident will also be given
the freedom to choose a minor specialization area outside of
palliative care psychology. Prior residents have specialized in areas
such as behavioral medicine, geropsychology, and trauma psychology.
The trainee will complete an administrative and a research project
with a special focus on Palliative care, in line with their emphasis
area.

In addition to the specific curriculum training above, the resident
will have the unique opportunity to be trained in conjunction with
fellows of other disciplines. This position is a part of a larger
Interprofessional Palliative Fellowship program
(http://medicine.uthscsa.edu/Geriatrics/interprof.aspx) which includes
learners from medicine, nursing, social work, chaplaincy, as well as
psychology. The interdisciplinary program is well established and
includes interdisciplinary didactics and specialized training in
ethics. As a result of this program, there are also numerous unique
opportunities for collaborative research and administrative projects.

Benefits and Stipend: Salary is $42,239 (no state income tax in Texas)
paid biweekly, with health and life insurance available. Annual Leave
(vacation) and Sick Leave are also benefits for Fellows. The STVHCS is
an equal opportunity employer and minority applicants are encouraged
to apply.
.
Residency Qualifications: Applicants must be citizens of the United
States, have earned their doctorate in Clinical or Counseling
Psychology from an APA-accredited program, and successfully completed
an APA-accredited internship. We are looking for highly motivated and
independent trainees who are clinically flexible and enjoy working
collaboratively with other members of a multidisciplinary team.

Application Process: Please refer to our training website
(http://www.southtexas.va.gov/psychology/index.asp) for more
information on the residency program, application process, and
frequently asked questions. Initial review of applications will begin
February 21, 2013 with selection date being made any time after that.
In-person interviews are preferred; however we can make arrangements
for phone interviews if necessary. Start date for the residency will
be early-mid July/August 2013, and can be negotiable.

Applicants should email the following (in 1 file other than the
letters of reference which should be emailed separately) to Dr.
Mata-Galán (Emma.Mata-Galan@va.gov): Paper copies will not be
accepted.

1. A cover letter stating training, research, and career goals.
2. A current vita including anticipated graduation date.
3. Abstract of dissertation (no more than 1page)
4. Three letters of recommendation from the following:
1. internship training director discussing progress and anticipated
completion date
2. dissertation chair discussing progress and estimating the final
dissertation defense date
3. current intern supervisor or someone knowledgeable about your clinical work
For additional information, please contact the Training Director, Emma
L. Mata-Galán, PsyD., at 210-617-5121 or by email at
Emma.Mata-Galan@va.gov

Thank you,

Veronica L. Shead, Ph.D
Clinical Psychologist
Geriatrics Extended Care/Palliative Care
Preceptor-Geropsychology Intern and Palliative Care Fellow
South Texas Veterans Health Care System

Friday, January 25, 2013

INFO: documentary film project

Good afternoon,

I'm forwarding this email from Jane Turville, a documentary filmmaker who is working on a project that will address population growth and changing population dynamics ( www.thepeopleproblem.com<http://www.thepeopleproblem.com/> ). She would like to do one of the segments on quality of life in the later years. As the email thread below indicates, she's interested in interviewing professionals who can offer insight on how expectations of aging and older adults have changed over the past 50-100 years, both individually and in terms of social roles. One particular focus (among broader issues) is on technology and aging, but she seems generally interested in getting scholarly input on issues of aging in a rapidly growing and changing world.

If you might be interested in helping Ms. Turville out by granting an interview, please take a look at the thread below, in which she lays out an ambitious agenda but a clear focus on aging issues. Her contact information is embedded in the thread, but to repeat, she can be reached at jane@waggingtale.com<mailto:jane@waggingtale.com> .

Cheers,
Pat
--------------------------
Patricia A. Parmelee, PhD
President, APA Division 20 - Adult Development & Aging
Director, Center for Mental Health and Aging
Professor, Department of Psychology
The University of Alabama
207 Osband Hall, Box 870315
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
pparmelee@ua.edu<mailto:pparmelee@ua.edu>
205 348 1499 (voice)
205 348 7520 (fax)

________________________________
Thursday, January 24, 2013

JOBS: Position Announcements

Dear Colleagues, The College of Public Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University is conducting searches for three 9-month tenure-track assistant professor positions in research related to : 1) developmental methods and 2) child development and healthy children and families (see below).

Developmental Methods and Child Development/Family Cluster Hires (3 Positions)
The School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences, Program in Human Development and Family Sciences (HDFS) at Oregon State University invites applications for three 9-month tenure-track assistant professor positions in research related to : 1) developmental methods and 2) child development and healthy children and families. Application deadline: March 15, 2013. The anticipated start date is September 16, 2013, or as arranged.

Responsibilities and Qualifications (highlights):
Completed PhD in HDFS, biostatistics, developmental psychology, sociology or a related field. Candidates must have earned a PhD by the start date of employment. We are particularly interested in candidates who have strengths in one or more of the following areas: development in early childhood, middle childhood, or adolescence, methodology, children’s health and well-being, family/parenting, and the importance of community and context. For the methods position expertise in one or more of the following is highly desirable: daily diary analysis, growth mixture modeling, multilevel analysis, dyadic analysis, and missing values.  The successful candidates will be eligible for appointment at assistant professor rank and will demonstrate the ability to have a strong program of research, securing external funds, evidence of effective teaching, evidence of effective communication, and service to the profession. Relevant post-doctoral experience and a demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity is preferred.  Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.  Benefits package includes several options for health/dental/life insurance, retirement, and tuition reduction program (some restrictions apply).  For a full description of responsibilities and qualifications, as well as application instructions, see:  http://health.oregonstate.edu/jobs

Karen Hooker, Ph.D.
Jo Anne Leonard Endowed Director, Center for Healthy Aging Research
Co-Director and Professor, School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences
406 Waldo Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
541.737.4336/4001 (fax)
hookerk@oregonstate.edu
http:// health.oregonstate.edu/healthy-aging

CONFERENCES and AWARDS: Early Career Convention Travel Awards

If you, or a colleague, meet criteria (ECP, never attended APA conference), this would be a great opportunity to start!

--------------------------

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

JOBS: St. Cloud State University, Department of Psychology

Position available:

Assistant Professor of Psychology, probationary/tenure-track position

Salary:

Commensurate with qualifications & experience

Date of appointment:

August 21, 2013

Vacancies at SCSU are contingent on university budgets and funding

Department:

The Department of Psychology has a probationary/tenure-track position available and is seeking applicants with specialization in developmental psychology.  For more information about the department:   http://www.stcloudstate.edu/psychology

Responsibilities:

Teach 12 credits per semester.  A successful candidate must be prepared to teach lifespan developmental psychology and at least 2 of the following courses: adolescent psychology, adult development and aging, child psychology, experimental psychology and/or research methods. The successful candidate will also assist in facilitating student development and advising; scholarship, and departmental committee work. In order to be considered for tenure, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to: teach and/or perform effectively in other current assignments, produce a record of scholarly or creative achievement or research, continue preparation and study, contribute to student growth and development and provide service to the university and community.

*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://www.ifo.org/contract09-11/2009-2011.pdf.

Qualifications and experience:

Required:

·         Prior to first date of employment,  Ph.D. in psychology with a specialization in developmental psychology from an accredited university;

·         College level teaching experience in developmental psychology;

·         Willing to contribute to teaching large section developmental psychology classes;

·         Demonstrated capability to teach and to work with persons from diverse backgrounds

Preferred:

·         Area specialization in lifespan developmental psychology

·         Experience using instructional technology and with working with undergraduates on research

·         Ability and interest in teaching other courses in our undergraduate curriculum

Contact info:

Marlene DeVoe, search committee chair

Department of Psychology

Phone (320) 308-5368

Email:  mdv@stcloudstate.edu

Application information and deadline:

Apply at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm

Upload the following required documents to the online application system: document highlighting teaching and research experience and philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., student evaluations and/or student learning outcome assessments), CV, three (3) letters of recommendation, copies of transcripts (if advanced to finalist, official transcripts will be required), and phone numbers and email address at which letter writers can be reached. Only complete applications will be considered.  Applications received by March 1, 2013, will be given full consideration (but the position will remain open until filled).  For inquiries about this position, contact Marlene DeVoe at mdv@stcloudstate.edu

St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities and veterans. St. Cloud State University is a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.

Submitted by

Marlene R. DeVoe, Ph.D.

Department of Psychology WH 102

St. Cloud State University

720 Fourth Ave South

Saint Cloud, MN 56301

mrdevoe@stcloudstate.edu

320-308-5368

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

CONFERENCES: Johns Hopkins University, Center for Innovative Care in Aging: Summer Research Institute

Please forward the following message:

The Summer Research Institute on Developing Behavioral Interventions, offered by the Center for Innovative Care in Aging at the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, is designed to help participants develop testable interventions that have the potential for implementation in practice environments and advance appropriate trial designs.

Through discussions of their intervention and study ideas with nationally recognized experts, engaging in small group consultation, and listening to state-of-the-science lectures, Summer Research Institute participants will gain hands-on practical knowledge and skills to advance their respective intervention studies.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND:  Junior faculty, post-doctoral students, researchers, or investigators with limited experience in health-related behavioral intervention research who are seeking to develop and advance a particular intervention to enhance the health and well-being of older adults, their family members, or communities.

Complete registration information, tuition, and fees can be found at www.ijhn.jhmi.edu/aginginstitute

Monday, January 21, 2013

JOBS: Professor position at Aging Research Center

Position open for Professor in Social Gerontology at the Aging Research Center. The Aging Research Center is a collaboration between Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University. For administrative purposes, it is attached to the Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet. The Aging Research Center is physically located at Gävlegatan 16 in Stockholm. More details in the link below.

Dear Colleagues,

Can you please help us spread the job opening link below?
https://ki.netrecruiter.se/en/what:job/jobID:15653/where:4/
Deadline for applications i April 2, 2013.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

JOBS: Director Position - Institute for Successful Longevity at Florida State University

Sorry, I omitted a line from this initially so I am reposting it – see below: