Wednesday, December 22, 2010

CONFERENCES: Advanced Couples & Family Psychology Conference Feb in Ft Lauderdale

From Keith Cooke, kcooke@APA.ORG:

Please see the following on the ABPP American Academy of Couples & Family Psychology Conference, co-sponsored by APA Division 43, and American Academy of Group Psychology:

Sunday, December 19, 2010

INFO: Fredda Blanchard-Fields Memorial Fund

Hello Friends,
As the year approaches an end, we reflect on the events of the past year.  One thing that saddened us all was the passing of our friend and colleague Fredda Blanchard-Fields.  I know that I miss her very much – seeing her smiling face would always brighten my day.  She was also someone whose counsel I would seek and whose opinions and thoughts I could always trust.
I wanted to remind you about the Fredda Blanchard-Fields Memorial Fund that we have established at Georgia Tech.  We have already received a number of donations and your generosity is sincerely appreciated.  If you have not yet had time to give, but would like to do so before the year is out, I am reproducing the relevant information below.
Fredda's family was very enthusiastic about the idea.  My plan is to contact them after the first of the year and give them an update on our progress.  I also intend to provide an update at the symposium we are hosting in Fredda's honor (don't forget to register: http://www.psychology.gatech.edu/fredda/index.php).
Thank you and I wish you all the best this holiday season.
Sincerely,
Wendy Rogers

 *******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Fredda Blanchard-Fields Memorial Fund
Fredda Blanchard-Fields, Chair of the School of Psychology, passed away on August 3, 2010.  She will be greatly missed by the faculty, staff, and students in the School of Psychology at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
One of Fredda's passions was students – she was a supportive mentor to students at all levels: undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral.  She was demanding but always encouraging – she expected a lot but also gave a lot.  She considered her students to be a part of her extended family.

To honor her memory, we are developing an endowment that will support student scholarships.  We and her family believe that this is an excellent way to honor her and something she would appreciate.

To make a tax-deductible contribution to the Fredda Blanchard-Fields Memorial Fund, please make your check payable to the Georgia Tech Foundation.  Include a note indicating that it is for the 'Fredda Blanchard-Fields Memorial Fund' or simply write 'Fredda Blanchard-Fields Memorial Fund' on the memo line of the check. The check should be mailed to:
Georgia Tech Foundation, Inc.
760 Spring Street, NW, Suite 400
Atlanta, GA 30308

(If you have any inquiries about the fund, please contact
Wendy Rogers, 404-894-6775, wendy@gatech.edu)

--
Wendy A. Rogers, Ph.D.
654 Cherry Street

CONFERENCES: Call for Submissions, 2011 Adult Development Symposium

Call for Submissions, January 31, 2011 Deadline
2011 Adult Development Symposium, Tuesday, March 29 and Wednesday, March 30
8:00am to 10:00pm
Pre-conference of the Society for Research in Child Development, SRCD Biennial Meeting
For information, go to http://www.adultdevelopment.org/ or email Admin@adultdevelopment.org
Presentations will address positive adult development from all disciplines.  Positive adult development refers to development starting in late adolescence and continuing through  life.  The focus is on expanded capabilities and changes that improve the quality of life.
Topic areas include:  Measurement, Models and Methodological Issues; Professional Development; Altruism, Attachment, and Alienation; Periods, Seasons and Non-stage Development; Stage Change; Cultural and Societal Development.
 March 29th in halls 4 & 5, March 30 to be determined
LE CENTRE SHERATON MONTRÉAL
1201, boul. René-Lévesque ouest , West Montréal, (Québec)  H3B-2L7, Canada
(800) 325-3535
(514) 878-2000
Reservation.lcs@sheraton.com
Subway: Station Bonaventure
sheraton.com/lecentre
--  My Best,  Michael Lamport Commons, Ph.D. Assistant Clinical Professor  Department of Psychiatry Harvard Medical School Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center 234 Huron Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138-1328  Telephone (617) 497-5270 Facsimile (617) 491-5270 Cellular (617) 320–0896 Commons@tiac.net http://dareassociation.org/

INFO - Geropsychology Training Council

Just a reminder to consider joining CoPGTP if you are part of a graduate, internship, postdoctoral, or post-licensure Geropsychology training program, per below.

Michele J. Karel, PhD
Staff Psychologist, VA Boston Healthcare System
Associate Professor, Dept of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Brockton VA Medical Center, 3-5-C
940 Belmont Street
Brockton, MA  02301
(774) 826-3725
(774) 826-3724 fax

Thursday, December 16, 2010

JOBS: NIH Center for Scientific Review, Biobehavioral and Behavioral Processes Integrated Review Group

We are recruiting a Scientific Review Officer (Health Science Administrator)and the job announcement is posted at the following USA Jobs link:

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=94674589&JobTitle=Health+Scientist+Administrator-CSR-CR-DE&q=Health+Scientist+Administrator&where=Bethesda%2C+MD&brd=3876&vw=b&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y&x=52&y=12&AVSDM=2010-12-16+00%3A03%3A00

The announcement is posted for only 5 days, thus the deadline for submitting an application is Monday Dec 20. Although a ‘generic’ SRO job announcement is posted, we are keen on recruiting within my IRG, Biobehavioral and Behavioral Processes, which reviews grant applications involving biobehavioral and behavioral processes across the lifespan, including human and non-human animals, and both normal and disordered processes. For more information please check the following link: http://cms.csr.nih.gov/PeerReviewMeetings/CSRIRGDescriptionNew/BBBPIRG/

In brief, the Integrated Review Groups and their constituent study sections within the Center are composed mostly of members of the scientific community who are established investigators of proven competence in their respective scientific specialties.  The study sections review and evaluate proposed health-related research/training projects for which grant support is requested.  In this review, they apply specialized knowledge of the scientific disciplines involved in the grants reviewed by the specified IRG and determine the relative merits of each application on the basis of such considerations as the significance of the study, the anticipated results, the scientific ability and reputation of the applicant, the adequacy of the facilities and other resources, and the compliance with ethics guidelines and administrative requirements.

I am happy to answer any questions (my contact information is provided below):

Dana Jeffrey Plude, Ph.D.
Chief and Scientific Review Officer
Biobehavioral and Behavioral Processes IRG
Center for Scientific Review, Rm. 3176
National Institutes of Health
6701 Rockledge Dr., MSC 7848
BETHESDA  MD  20892-7848

Email: pluded@csr.nih.gov
Phone: 301-435-2309
Fax: 301-435-0014

BBBP information: http://www.csr.nih.gov/review/bbbpirg.htm

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

INFO: Clarification re Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs Survey

Div 20 Members:

Clarification– we wanted to get a cross-section of opinions from the geropsychology community re petitioning for ABPP status. Although there are mostly practice-oriented questions (we must have a certain number of practitioners who are willing to take the exam for ABPP to consider our petition), it would be great to hear the opinions of pure research geropsychologists re this resource-heavy endeavor.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NH66KDC

Victor

Victor Molinari, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor
Dept of Aging and Mental Health Disparities, MHC #1440
College of Behavioral and Community Sciences
Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Inst
University of South Florida
13301 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33612-3899
(813) 974-1960
FAX (813) 974-1968
Email: vmolinari@fmhi.usf.edu
Webpage: http://amh.fmhi.usf.edu/vitas/vmolinari.php

INFO: Editor Search: Psychology and Aging

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

INFO: Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs Survey

Dear Div 20 members:

The Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs is interested in your thoughts regarding whether geropsychology as a discipline should petition the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) for geropsychology to be designated a specialty area.

Please follow the link and take this brief survey - it only should take 10 minutes to complete. Thank you in advance for this consideration, and I apologize for the cross-postings.

Friday, December 10, 2010

JOBS: Geropsychology Postdoctoral Fellowship - Salem VAMC

GEROPSYCHOLOGY POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP – SALEM VA

The Salem VA is pleased to announce recruitment for a Postdoctoral Fellowship position in Geropsychology at the Salem VA Medical Center in Salem, Virginia.

The Geropsychology Fellow will work in clinics providing quality services to older veterans, with a special emphasis in rural populations.  This position will provide the opportunity to address and resolve the unique difficulties presented by an aging veteran population.  The Fellow will further refine skills in assessing and treating cognitive impairments including dementia, pain, maladaptive personality traits/disorders, and caregiver stress.  Training will focus on assessment and diagnosis, intervention, consultation and communication, professional and ethical behavior, human diversity, scientist-practitioner model, and supervision and teaching skills.  The Geropsychology Fellow will have the opportunity to work in multiple clinical settings such as: Neuropsychology Clinic, Memory Disorders Clinic, Dementia Care Unit, Inpatient Geropsychiatry Unit, Palliative Care Team, Rehabilitation, and the Home-Based Primary Care Program.  The Fellow will be expected to participate in research or program development being conducted in the Center for Neurocognitive Services. Current projects include research related to dementia screening in primary care and enhancing the utilization of mental health services by geriatric patients and caregivers. The Fellow will also have the opportunity to participate in multidisciplinary teams in the Memory Disorders Clinic, Palliative Care and Home-Based Primary Care.

ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION

Applicants must be U.S. citizens who are graduates of APA accredited doctoral programs in Clinical or Counseling Psychology and have completed an APA accredited pre-doctoral internship prior to start date.  All requirements for the doctoral degree, including dissertation, must be completed prior to starting.  The start date is expected to occur between mid-August and mid-September.  Fellowship stipend: $42,239 + benefits.

To apply, please send the following:

1.    A letter of intent which specifies your future professional goals and details how the fellowship will contribute toward their achievement

2.    Curriculum Vitae

3.    A signed "Declaration for Federal Employment", Optional Form (OF) 306 (you may download this form from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management website at: http://www.opm.gov/forms/html/of.asp)

4.    Three letters of reference from faculty or other professionals who are well acquainted with you and your qualifications

5.    A letter from your internship Director of Training documenting your status as an intern, whether any probationary or remedial actions have been taken, whether you are on track to successfully complete your pre-doctoral internship, and your anticipated internship completion date

6.    One copy of all graduate school transcripts

7.    If at the time of application your dissertation has not been completed, please submit a letter from your dissertation chair documenting the timeline for completion of the dissertation.

Applications are due by January 10th. The application materials of candidates are reviewed by the staff psychologists and fellows.  Reviewers evaluate the applicant's ability, record of achievement, and degree of potential compatibility with the fellowship program.  These rankings are used to prioritize interview offers. Applicants who do not qualify for consideration will be notified promptly.  Telephone interviews may be used to initially screen applicants. In-person interviews will be required for final candidates. Communication with Geropsychology applicants will follow the suggested APPIC guidelines for internship/residency selection.

Please send all application materials to:

Theodore Wright, Ph.D., Post-Doctoral Fellowship Coordinator

Salem VAMC (116B)

1970 Roanoke Blvd.

Salem, Virginia 24153.

Email: theodore.wright1@va.gov

Please see our brochure at our www.psychologytraining.va.gov/Salem website.

Stacy M. Belkonen, Ph.D.

Neuropsychologist

Center for Neurocognitive Services

Salem VA Medical Center

1970 Roanoke Blvd (116B-1)

Salem, Virginia 24153

Phone: (540) 982-2463 x 2560

Fax: (540) 983-1085

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

INFO: Please help Division 20 increase its membership for 2010-2011!

Dear members of the APA Division 20 List-Serv,

As we begin a new APA membership year, and we are hoping to match or exceed our total membership from last year!  If you have not renewed your membership, please consider doing so or joining as a new member!  As a long-time member of the Division myself, membership has allowed me to enjoy the multitude of professional benefits of Division 20 including job opportunities, faculty development, research training, and networking contacts that will help me throughout my career.

Please visit the APA Division 20 membership page (
http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/join.htm) and fill out an application to join as a new member or a renewed member.  The membership page also provides a wealth detail of why membership in Division 20 is such a great professional opportunity.

In response to the need to create flexible membership options and encourage more robust participation in Division 20, we are excited to announce two new membership categories for new or current members:

1.  Professional affiliates are persons who, due to their proficiency in areas related to the mission of the Division, can contribute to the Division's objectives but do not hold membership in the American Psychological Association.

2.  International affiliates are also proficient in areas related to the mission of the Division and can contribute to the Division's objectives, but reside in a country outside of the United States.  International affiliates do not have to hold membership in the American Psychological Association to join Division 20.

Dues for both Professional and International Affiliates are the same as Divisional dues for full members (e.g., $44 per year), and confer many of the same benefits as Full Members, including subscriptions to Adult Development & Aging News as well as Psychology and Aging.  However, to reiterate: one does not have to join APA itself in order to be an Affiliate of Division 20!

To join as a Professional or International Affiliate, please go to http://memforms.apa.org/apa/cli/divapp/.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at the email or numbers below.

If you are a member, you will note on the APA Division 20 membership page that we have designed new brochures.  If you would like some brochures to post in your office or share with colleagues, please let me know and I would be happy to mail you some.  Please spread the word and encourage your colleagues to join.

If you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do to help facilitate your membership in APA Division 20, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Sincerely,

Joe Gaugler
Membership Chair
APA Division 20

_____________________

Joseph E. Gaugler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, McKnight Presidential Fellow
Center on Aging, School of Nursing
Coordinator of Research Initiatives, Center for Gerontological Nursing
University of Minnesota
6-153 Weaver-Densford Hall, 1331
308 Harvard Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN  55455
Phone: 612-626-2485
Cell Phone: 651-605-5611
Fax: 612-625-7180
Email: gaug0015@umn.edu
http://www.nursing.umn.edu/FacultyStaffandPreceptors/GauglerJoseph/home.html
_____________________

Sunday, December 05, 2010

INFO: AMA dementia work group

Thursday, December 02, 2010

FUNDING: Wisconsin Longitudinal Study Pilot Grant Program

2011 WLS Pilot Grant Program

The Center for Demography of Health and Aging (CDHA) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will award two to three pilot grants to investigators using the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study (WLS) data for scholarly research. The WLS provides an opportunity to study the life course, careers, retirement, intergenerational transfers and relationships, family functioning, physical and mental health and well-being, morbidity and mortality, and gene-environment interactions from late adolescence to the retirement years.  Selected recipients will receive $5,000 to support their research, along with a travel stipend to WLS training workshops.  The training workshop will take place in Madison on August 11-12, 20011, while the research workshop will be held one year later.

Funding for this pilot grant program originates from the National Institute on Aging Grant AG021079.  More information about the WLS and the pilot grant program including questionnaires, codebooks and public data may be found at the WLS pilot grant website: http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/wlsresearch/pilot/.  Please contact Carol Roan by e-mail roan@ssc.wisc.edu or by telephone (608) 265-6196 if you have further questions.

Eligibility:  Applications are welcomed from investigators in such diverse fields as anthropology, demography, economics, epidemiology, family studies, genetics, gerontology, human development, medicine, nursing, psychology, public health, and sociology.  Grant application must be received by May 27, 2011.  This grant program is intended to support new users and new uses of WLS data. We encourage applications from graduate students and junior researchers (i.e., with fewer than five years since completing their doctoral-level degree) as well as more experienced researchers who have not previously used WLS data.  Applicants must be affiliated with either educational institutions or with 501(c) (3) nonprofit organizations.  Graduate student applicants must submit a letter of support from a faculty member.

--
Carol L Roan
Assistant Scientist
Center for Demography of Health and Aging
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1180 Observatory Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
Office Phone: (608) 265-6196

JOBS: 4 Chicago Area Psychology Fellowships at Hines VA Hospital: Primary Care, Integrated Care, Medical Rehabilitation, PTSD/SA

Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital

Hines, IL

Four Postdoctoral Fellowships Available:

Primary Care and Health Psychology Fellowship
Integrated Care and Behavioral Medicine Fellowship

Medical Rehabilitation Psychology Fellowship
PTSD and Substance Abuse Fellowship

http://www.hines.va.gov/about/Psych_Post.asp

Hines photo

We are seeking applicants for our four postdoctoral fellowships in Primary Care and Health Psychology,  Integrated Care and Behavioral Medicine, Medical Rehabilitation Psychology, and PTSD and Substance Abuse.

Primary Care and Health Psychology:  Through clinical practice and supervision, the Fellow will develop advanced skills necessary to function as a competent collaborative practitioner who provides biopsychosocially-oriented care to patients in medical primary care settings utilizing the latest empirically supported treatment models. The Fellow will provide a full range of behavioral health services that include biopsychosocial, cognitive, and capacity assessments, psychotherapeutic and behavioral medicine/rehabilitative interventions and prevention-oriented services. The Fellow will acquire advanced skills in effective interdisciplinary consultation and collaboration within the framework of primary care. In this one-year program, the Fellow will complete a six-month, full-time rotation within the Home-Based Primary Care Program (2nd largest in the country). The Fellow will spend the second half of the year at least half-time in Primary Care Behavioral Health and/or Health Promotion/Disease Prevention rotations as well as 6 hours/week devoted to enhancement of generalist skills within the Psychology Fellowship Clinic. Within this fellowship, there is considerable focus on ongoing management of chronic illness and multimorbidities, thus emphasizing skills in secondary and tertiary prevention.  The fellowship program emphasizes clinical activity as well as research, didactics and supervisory training. There is also the opportunity to participate in teaching, administration, program development and outcome evaluation.

Integrated Care and Behavioral Medicine:  Integrated Care and Behavioral Medicine at Hines VA Hospital is the co-located, collaborative, and interdisciplinary incorporation of behavioral health care services within medical settings to more wholly address patient needs. The Fellow will actively engage in the VA Primary Care "Patient Aligned Care Team" (PACT) and related integrated care settings affording the Fellow immersion in primary care mental health integrated practices that actualize the biopsychosocial model. The Fellow will participate in the spectrum of roles psychologists often assume within Integrated Care settings including provision of direct clinical services, participation in medical staff training and mentoring, consultation to medical teams and engagement in administrative functions in preparation for leadership roles within integrated care settings. Over the course of the training year, the Fellow is expected to complete a six-month, full-time rotation immersed in the Primary Care PACT through participation in the Health Promotion/Disease Prevention Committee and full clinical functions of the Primary Care Behavioral Health Team. The Fellow will spend the second half of the year at least half-time in Home-Based Primary Care with an additional 6 hours/week devoted to enhancement of generalist skills within the Psychology Fellowship Clinic.

Medical Rehabilitation Psychology. This year-long position consists of three-month rotations in Medical Rehabilitation settings and will include spending one-fourth of the year in the Psychology Fellowship Clinic conducting assessment and treatment with an outpatient psychiatric population. The Hines VA Hospital is fortunate to have 6 distinct medical rehabilitation programs that provide a breadth of experience found at very few medical centers.  The fellowship program emphasizes clinical activity as well as research, didactics and supervisory training.  There is also the opportunity to participate in teaching, administration, program development and outcome evaluation.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse. In this one-year program, the Fellow is expected to complete a minimum of one-quarter year in a PTSD-focused rotation and a minimum of one-quarter year in our Substance Abuse rotation. A third quarter time may be devoted to any of these rotations, research and/or an adjunctive administration rotation. A fourth quarter time is devoted to PTSD and/or substance abuse rotations as well as enhancement of generalist skills within the Psychology Fellowship Clinic. The fellowship program emphasizes clinical activity as well as research, didactics and supervisory training.  Interdisciplinary consultation, administration, teaching, and program development and outcome evaluation are also integral elements of this Special Emphasis.

Training Setting:  Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital is

  • located in suburban Chicago 12 miles West of downtown Chicago, on a 147 acre campus
  • one of the largest and most diversified medical and surgical hospitals in the Department of Veterans Affairs system.
  • a tertiary referral center with many specialty services, including some that serve a large U.S. regional area
  • institutionally affiliated with Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine

Training Staff:  The Psychology Department

  • is one of several departments in the hospital’s Mental Health Service Line
  • is comprised of 31 doctoral-level psychologists and two program assistants, with current recruitment of four additional psychologists
  • represents a  broad range of expertise, background and experience, with staff having  professional assignments throughout the hospital
  • staff are involved in the postdoctoral training program as either primary or secondary supervisors
  • has supervisors that hold faculty appointments at universities in the Chicago area and are active in funded research endeavors

Training Philosophy:  The Psychology Department at Hines

  • embraces a generalist training tradition
  • provides depth through focused specialized training in the Fellow’s area of primary clinical interest concurrent with breadth through strengthening generalist skills and adapting to work across a variety of interdisciplinary settings
  • offers rotations across a number of clinical settings to optimize the skills set required for independent practice

Start Date: August 29, 2011                                                   Length of Program: One year

Stipend and Benefits: $46,287; 13 days vacation leave and 13 days available sick leave, in addition to the 10 annual federal holidays. Health and life insurance is available. Educational allotment of $400 for educational opportunities outside of the hospital.

About Chicago: Chicago is the largest Midwestern city and third most populous in the country, with approximately 9 million residents in the metro area. Chicago is a vibrant metropolis known for world-class attractions and cultural institutions that retains a very friendly and comfortable Midwestern character. Chicago is also rich in demographic diversity, with many distinct neighborhoods and communities.

Qualifications:

1.  U.S. citizenship

2.  Completed all requirements of an APA-accredited doctoral program in clinical or counseling psychology

3.  Completed an APA-accredited internship in clinical or counseling psychology prior to entering into the program. Applications are accepted from applicants who are currently in the process of completing these requirements.

Application Procedure:

1. A cover letter that includes in detail the following elements:

a. Previous clinical, educational and research experience in both our generalist training objectives as well as

    in Special Emphasis track to which you applied

b. A description of your career goals and the way in which the Fellowship will advance them

2. Curriculum Vitae

3. Official transcripts from graduate school (including awarding date of doctoral degree)

4. Three or four letters of recommendation

5. A letter from your psychology internship director discussing progress on internship and anticipated completion date

6. A completed Hines VA Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program Application (available online)

http://www.hines.va.gov/about/Psych_Post.asp

The deadline for completed applications is January 14, 2011.

Please send completed materials and inquiries to:

Bernard J. Sladen, Ph.D.

Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital

Psychology Training Programs

Psychology Service (116B)

5000 S. Fifth Avenue

Building 228, Room 3021

Hines, IL 60141-3030

(708)202-2444

bernie.sladen@va.gov

Elizabeth V. Horin, Ph.D.

Clinical Psychologist

Home-Based Primary Care Program

Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital

Office (708)202-8387 ext. 20651

Cell (708)514-2790

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

INFO: Telehealth, Telepsychology and Technology-Related Papers