Thursday, June 28, 2007

JOBS: Research Project Coordinator Position, UIUC

Research Program Coordinator

Adult Learning Lab

The Adult Learning Lab has a position opening for a Research Program Coordinator position is to supervise and coordinate research activities in the Adult Learning Lab and coordinate activities among multiple task-based teams so as to facilitate smooth operation of the community-based research. Minimum qualifications: Bachelors degree in Psychology or related field required. Demonstrated ability to conduct and interpret basic descriptive statistics; experience with word processing, spreadsheets, other software packages; extensive database management experience, experience in a research lab, managing or supervising people at various levels. Strong organizational and communication skills, ability to work independently and energetically in the face of competing demands. Preferred qualifications: Master's degree in Psychology or related field. Coursework and/or research experience in cognitive psychology, psycholinguistics, and/or gerontology. For a full list of duties, responsibilities, and qualifications, please visit our website at

www.beckman.uiuc.edu/about/employment.html.

In order to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by July 5, 2007. The U of I is an AA-EOE.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• Elizabeth A. L. Stine-Morrow Professor of Educational Psychology, Psychology, and the Beckman Institute 226 Education Building 1310 S. Sixth Street University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Champaign, IL 61820

(217) 244-2167 (office) (217) 244-7931 (CRC lab) (217) 244-7336 (Beckman lab) (217) 244-7620 (fax)

eals@uiuc.edu

http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/ http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/all/ ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

ACTION ALERT: INFO/FUNDING: D20 response to draft NIA Strategic Plan for Research on Aging

Dear Colleagues,

The deadline for commentary on the NIA Strategic Plan (http://www.nia.nih.gov/AboutNIA/strategic_plan_draft.htm) is June 30. This is probably one of those the-more-voice-the-better situations. I urge you to write NIA this week to NIAPlanning@mail.nih.gov to express support for the APA Division 20 response to the plan (below). Thank you for supporting research in the psychology of aging!

With best regards, Liz

To: Richard J. Hodes, Director, National Institute on Aging

From: APA Division 20 (Adult Development and Aging) Date: June 22, 2007 Subject: National Institute on Aging Strategic Plan

Thank you for the opportunity to provide commentary on Living Long and Well in the 21st Century - Strategic Directions for Research on Aging. Members of the Executive Committee for Division 20 (Adult Development and Aging) of the American Psychological Association have reviewed this document and have had some discussion about its potential impact. In this letter, we summarize some of the reactions to the plan as written.

First, this an exciting document that is broad in scope, and in many ways sets the right tone for a science of aging that is interdisciplinary, sensitive to the dynamic and highly contextualized nature of aging, and committed to a deep understanding of basic principles and mechanisms that stimulate translational research to make a difference in the lives of aging individuals and their families. Particular strengths include the call for translational interventions, the focus on eliminating health disparities, and the recognition that continued progress in aging research depends on establishing effective mechanisms of professional training. The Committee appreciates the care and thought that went into preparing this visionary document.

At the same time, we had some ideas for strengthening the strategic plan that we hope you will consider.

PSYCHOLOGICAL SCIENCE IS CRITICAL TO PROMOTING HEALTH AND PREVENTING DISABILITY IN AN AGING POPULATION

We would like to express deep concern about what might be perceived as an underestimation of the role for psychological sciences in understanding the nature of aging. Potential contributions from the social and behavioral sciences are woven through the arguments in the document, but they are not well integrated into the conceptualization. We believe that this is critical to an effective science of aging. For example, on the first page in the Introduction, the claim is that "we need to explore 'aging' not as a single process but rather as an intricate web of interdependent genetic, biological, and physiological processes," and in the introduction to Research Goal A (to improve understanding of healthy aging, disease, and disability among older people), aging appears to be defined in terms of biologically driven senescence processes ("a set of dynamic biological and physiological processes and systems - interactive and interdependent - that result in wide variation among individuals," p. 3). Both of these statements neglect the centrality of psychological and social systems for an integrated study of aging. We believe that the document would be strengthened by revising these statements to: "We need to explore 'aging' not as a single process but rather as an intricate web of interdependent genetic, biological, physiological, and psychosocial processes" (p. 1) and "Aging comprises a set of dynamic biological, physiological, and psychosocial processes and systems - interactive and interdependent - that result in wide variation among individuals."

There are specific examples of how this neglect of psychological science plays out in research goals in ways that could stimulate lines of research that may not be as fruitful as they would be if the problems were conceptualized so as to include psychosocial mechanisms. For example, under Research Goal A-2 (accelerate discovery of risk factors for disease, pp. 7-8), the role of psychological processes (e.g., stress) in inflammatory and immune response is not considered. Also, under Research Goal B-1 (pp. 10-12), which focuses on the development of interventions to maintain health and prevent disease, the role of behavioral change is not considered in any depth. The first bulleted point under this goal calls for the development of "efficacious and cost effective strategies for promoting healthy and safe behaviors," but the text of that section does not acknowledge how complex the problem of behavioral change is. For example, the development of "cost effective dietary measures" is a good first step, but as we all know, "knowing what a healthy diet is" is not the same thing as "adhering to a healthy diet." Arguably, obesity and inactivity are among the leading causes of disease and disability in the US, and presumably, are rooted in behavior. The development of interventions to change unhealthy behavioral patterns will require understanding of cognitive factors (e.g., comprehension, decision- making), predispositional factors (e.g., personality), and their interaction, so that real people in real contexts can adhere to "behavioral prescriptions."

Psychological mechanisms have a critical role in determining how older adults adapt to aging-related changes. Health psychologists understand that management of illness is fundamentally influenced by how people construe the disease and its causes, and how ingrained patterns of behavior afford or clash with treatment regimens. Successful adherence to new medication or exercise regimens requires goal commitment and specific plans for how to implement that regimen and integrate it into one's style of life. Inertial health-detracting behavioral patterns (e.g., diet), dysfunctional attitudes, and conditioned emotional responses toward aging and one's own aging can play a major role in thwarting effective health interventions for middle-aged and older adults. Prevention of negative health outcomes in old age may require interventions to change attitudes and health-related behaviors early in adulthood.

One implication of these arguments is that funding for basic psychological research remains critical. No one would argue with the tenet that multidisciplinary research will be needed to promote life-long health, but at the same time, psychological science as a discipline must continue to make progress. It would be difficult, indeed, to create effective behavioral interventions without understanding the mechanisms that need to be affected.

WE MUST UNDERSTAND "VITAL" AGING, NOT JUST "NORMAL" AGING

Another area of concern is a lack of attention to enhancing vitality, in addition to preventing disease. There are many places in the document where the focus is understanding and promoting "normal" aging by preventing disease. For example, in the introduction to Research Goal A, the challenge is characterized as a need "to develop a clearer understanding of the normal changes that accompany aging and distinguish them from the diseases and disabilities that are prevalent among older adults" (p. 3). Later in the document, the claim is that "the overall integrity of brain structure and many neural systems are largely preserved in normal aging, [while disease process disrupt neural integrity" (p. 17). This distinction between normal and pathological aging has been with us for sometime, but may not reflect current views of aging that acknowledge the wide range of variability within the "normal" range. Research developments in animal research and cognitive neuroscience are suggesting that experience sculpts the brain throughout the life span. Epidemiological work suggests enduring effects of early educational experiences. In other words, it is probably not the case that neural systems are simply "preserved" with "normal" aging - but rather they are continually "rewiring" themselves with "vital" aging. This perspective is perhaps implied from (or may be read into) language embedded in Research Goal A-1 (second and third sub-points under the eighth bullet, p. 6), but needs to be more forcefully integrated into the strategic plan. Given the surge of elders on the horizon, it is critical that aging research not simply address the elimination of disease, but develop principles of optimization within what was once considered the normal range. We need to understand the factors that promote wellness and vitality in late life to enhance quality of life and workforce effectiveness, for example - as well as to buffer against disease. This idea may be planted early in the document; the sentence, "As life expectancy increases…, diseases and conditions among older people remain a concern" (p. 1, second paragraph) could be strengthened by revising to, "… diseases and conditions that threaten vitality among older people remain a concern." More generally, the use of the term "normal aging" needs to be reconsidered. Under Research Goal A-1 we suggest a fourth bulleted sub-goal, p. 4): "o Understand the influence of environmental processes (e.g., educational experiences, enriched environments, stressors) through the life span on the pace of aging processes." This would follow nicely after the third point that focused on the effects of early life experiences and better set the stage for Research Goal D considering aging at the societal level, under which D-1 will "explore the effect of education and other social and demographic factors on health and well-being at older ages" (p. 21).

A pragmatic reason to focus on vital aging is that scientists and health care professionals are themselves aging (see the recent NSF report on the labor force in science and engineering, http://

www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind06/c3/c3s3.htm; e.g., Figure 3-33). Maintaining the vitality of the workforce in science, math, engineering, and the health professions will depend on our ability to promote cognitive vitality. We need basic research on how aging affects memory, problem solving, and other cognition processes in order to develop effective training techniques that can support research scientists and health care practitioners to function at high levels, both to maintain and to continue to develop expertise over their increasingly lengthening careers (age 67 for full social security for those born after 1960). In short, basic research on cognition is essential to ensuring a high functioning professional workforce capable of continuing critically needed health research and of delivering superior care to our aging population.

WE CANNOT LOSE SIGHT OF THE IMPORTANT ROLE PLAYED BY ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES

With the mapping of the human genome, understanding the role of environment has only grown in importance. Heritable influences on complex diseases are often hard to verify. In a recent article in Nature Reviews: Genetics, Hemmink, and Forsti (2006) work with the example of cancer etiology to argue that it is often the environmental influences that are stronger. They suggest (p. 961) that, "Eradication of hereditary cancer syndromes would reduce the cancer burden by 1%, and up to 10% of the population would be saved if all familial cancers could be avoided." By contrast, "[i]f the western population was to live in the same conditions as the populations of developing countries, the risk of cancer would decrease by 90%, provided that viral infections and mycotoxin exposures could be avoided." Now that we have the ability to identify single singles and clusters of genes that may increase risk for disease, it is imperative that we assess the environment correctly. Unfortunately, this is arguably a more difficult task. For aging, we must understand how environments change (and interact with social, psychological, socioeconomic, physical, and behavioral factors) before we can understand gene expression in late life, and the role of genes in the context of this shifting environment.

WE MAY NOT KNOW AS MUCH AS WE THINK WE DO

Finally, there are certain arenas in which the document seems to overstate what we may know. For example, contrary to the sidebar of p. 5, the causal link between social networks and health may not be clear.

Thank you…

Thank you again for inviting input into this process. We hope that this is helpful to you as you continue to develop a framework for aging research and to set priorities at the National Institute on Aging.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Elizabeth A. L. Stine-Morrow APA Division 20 President Department of Educational Psychology 226 Education Building 1310 S. Sixth Street University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Champaign, IL 61820 (217) 244-2167 (office) (217) 244-7620 (fax) eals@uiuc.edu http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/ http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/all/ oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Monday, June 25, 2007

CONFERENCES/FUNDING: Cognitive Aging Summit, October 10-11, 2007, Washington DC

SAVE THE DATE!! SAVE THE DATE!! SAVE THE DATE!!

The Cognitive Aging Summit October 10-11, 2007 Washington, D.C.

Organized by the National Institute on Aging and made possible by the McKnight Brain Research Foundation through a generous grant to the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health

The Cognitive Aging Summit will bring together a range of experts in a variety of research fields to discuss the most cutting edge advances in our understanding of age-related brain and behavioral changes. The primary goals are to advance and integrate knowledge bases, methods, and perspectives on aging and cognition, and to identify the most promising areas of translational research for maintenance of cognitive health throughout life.

********** Coming soon ************ Conference registration details and logistics

Please share this announcement with your colleagues!!

INFO/FUNDING: D20 response to draft NIA Strategic Plan for Research on Aging

Dear Colleagues,

If you have had a chance to review the draft of the NIA Strategic plan at

http://www.nia.nih.gov/AboutNIA/strategic_plan_draft.htm,

you might have noticed that psychological science may not be as well integrated into the plan as it could be. To take one example, on the first page of the document, it is claimed that "we need to explore 'aging' not as a single process but rather as an intricate web of interdependent genetic, biological, and physiological processes," with no mention of psychological, social, or behavioral processes. The Executive Committee has drafted a response that will be sent to NIA on behalf of Division 20 that develops this point and highlights some other areas of the document that may need rethinking. We have sent these comments to Pat Kobor to consider as she writes the APA response as well. I am circulating this letter on the listserv in the hope that it will encourage you to look over the strategic plan and send your own commentary to NIA (please copy Pat Kobor at pkobor@APA.ORG).

As always, we are grateful to Deb DiGilio and CONA, and to Pat Kobor in the Science Government Relations Office at APA for being on top of this!!

Thank YOU for your attention to this important issue.

With best regards, Liz

To: Richard J. Hodes Director, National Institute on Aging

From: APA Division 20 (Adult Development and Aging)

Date: June 22, 2007

Subject: National Institute on Aging Strategic Plan

[...]

Another area of concern is a lack of attention to enhancing vitality, in addition to preventing disease. There are many places in the document where the focus is understanding and promoting "normal" aging by preventing disease. For example, in the introduction to Research Goal A, the challenge is characterized as a need "to develop a clearer understanding of the normal changes that accompany aging and distinguish them from the diseases and disabilities that are prevalent among older adults" (p. 3). Later in the document, the claim is that "the overall integrity of brain structure and many neural systems are largely preserved in normal aging, [while disease process disrupt neural integrity" (p. 17). This distinction between normal and pathological aging has been with us for sometime, but may not reflect current views of aging that acknowledge the wide range of variability within the "normal" range. Research developments in animal research and cognitive neuroscience are suggesting that experience sculpts the brain throughout the life span. Epidemiological work suggests enduring effects of early educational experiences. In other words, it is probably not the case that neural systems are simply "preserved" with "normal" aging – but rather they are continually "rewiring" themselves with "vital" aging. This perspective is perhaps implied from (or may be read into) language embedded in Research Goal A-1 (second and third sub-points under the eighth bullet, p. 6), but needs to be more forcefully integrated into the strategic plan. Given the surge of elders on the horizon, it is critical that aging research not simply address the elimination of disease, but develop principles of optimization within what was once considered the normal range. We need to understand the factors that promote wellness and vitality in late life to enhance quality of life and workforce effectiveness, for example – as well as to buffer against disease. This idea may be planted early in the document; the sentence, "As life expectancy increases…, diseases and conditions among older people remain a concern" (p. 1, second paragraph) could be strengthened by revising to, "… diseases and conditions that threaten vitality among older people remain a concern." More generally, the use of the term "normal aging" needs to be reconsidered. Under Research Goal A-1 we suggest a fourth bulleted sub-goal, p. 4): "• Understand the influence of environmental processes (e.g., educational experiences, enriched environments, stressors) through the life span on the pace of aging processes." This would follow nicely after the third point that focused on the effects of early life experiences and better set the stage for Research Goal D considering aging at the societal level, under which D-1 will "explore the effect of education and other social and demographic factors on health and well-being at older ages" (p. 21).

[...]

JOBS: Human Dev/Fam Studies, Colorado State Univ.

Assistant Professor of Human Development and Family Studies Colorado State University Nine-month, tenure-track, assistant professor to contribute to our growing program in lifespan applied developmental science. Specific content area is open, but we seek individuals whose research and teaching interests revolve around optimizing development and promoting health and well-being of individuals and families. We are especially interested in candidates with a strong background in longitudinal and developmental methodology, and strong conceptual grounding in prevention/intervention science, with health-relevance. Individuals interested in applying can view a full version of the position at our website:

http://hdfs.cahs.colostate.edu.

To apply, send a cover letter addressing required and preferred qualifications, statement of research interests and teaching philosophy, c.v., 3 reference letters, and sample publications to Zeynep Biringen, Ph.D. Faculty Search Committee Chair, Human Development and Family Studies, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1570. Phone: 970/491-5558; Fax: 970/491-7975; e-mail: biringen@cahs.colostate.edu. Electronic submission is encouraged. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For full consideration, however, applicants should submit applications by October 15, 2007. CSU is an EO/AA employer.

INFO/JOBS: Editor, American Journal of Psychology

REVISED: Applicants Sought for Editor of the American Journal of Psychology

Deadline: December 31, 2007 or until Editor is named

The University of Illinois Press seeks applicants for the position of editor or co-editors of the American Journal of Psychology (AJP). The official term is for a minimum of three years, with a possible reappointment of up to an additional three years.

Scope of AJP: AJP is published quarterly by the University of Illinois Press, a not-for-profit publisher. The American Journal of Psychology is the oldest psychology journal in the country. Founded in 1887 by G. Stanley Hall in the interest of general experimental psychology, it was edited in its early years by Edward Titchener, Edwin Boring, and Karl M. Dallenbach. AJP has published some of the most innovative and formative papers in the history of psychology. AJP explores the basic science of the mind, publishing reports of original research in experimental psychology, theoretical presentations, combined theoretical and experimental analyses, historical commentaries (edited by Alfred H. Fuchs, Bowdoin College), and in-depth reviews of significant books (edited by Dominic W. Massaro, University of California, Santa Cruz).

Qualification and requirements of candidates: Key qualities sought for the position of editor or co-editors: an established record of scholarship in the field of psychology; managerial skills to oversee the editorial cycle and meet deadlines; and the ability to attract respected experts to his or her editorial advisory board.

Major responsibilities of the future editor or co-editors of AJP include

managing the peer review of approximately 70–80 manuscripts per year, soliciting high-quality manuscripts from potential authors, and (with the help of the UIP staff) assisting these authors in seeing their manuscripts to publication, deciding which manuscripts to publish, selecting a sufficient pool of competent reviewers to reach conclusions and make decisions on manuscripts in a timely fashion, identifying and appointing qualified members to the editorial advisory board, providing a clear vision for the direction of the Journal. Applicants should have recognized expertise in the field, possess editorial experience, and be able to lead an active editorial board in working effectively with publishing professionals. Applicants must have clear employer or institutional support for this activity for the duration of the three-year appointment, including release time as necessary and general office support.

Search procedure: Applicants will be reviewed by the Search Committee immediately after the deadline submission date.

The application packet should include:

A Vision Statement: Set forth your goals and plans for the content of the Journal. This may include an assessment of the current strengths, weaknesses, or gaps that you plan to address and how you will operationalize your plan. Editor/Co-Editor Background Information: The name, affiliation, and other relevant information about the potential editor and, if applicable, co-editors. Describe the qualifications of each person that supports their inclusion. Evidence of the ability and experience of the editor and editorial team to provide sound judgment and guidance to potential authors. Please include a vita or resume for each proposed editor and/or co-editor. Vitae are not included in the five-page limit, and no standard form is required. Provide a clear description of the structure of the editorial office and responsibilities, as you envision them at this point. Institutional Support: It is important for candidates to consider and address the feasibility of serving as editor in light of the resources likely to be available to the editor candidate. The UIP does not pay for office space or release time, but can provide basic financial support for office resources as necessary to Journal editors. This support may include funds for clerical assistance, office supplies, postage, and telephone beyond what will be provided by the editor's home institution. Since the support offered by different institutions varies widely, you are encouraged to contact the Executive Office of your University as necessary in order to ensure the feasibility of your application. Application packets (as described above) should be sent to:

Clydette Wantland Journals Manager University of Illinois Press 1325 S. Oak Street Champaign , IL 61820 Ph: 217-244-6496 cwantlan@uillinois.edu www.press.uillinois.edu

Thursday, June 21, 2007

INFO: "Meeting the Long-Term Care Needs of the Baby Boomers"

"Meeting the Long-Term Care Needs of the Baby Boomers: How Changing Families will Affect Paid Helpers and Institutions" is available at:

www.urban.org/publications/311451.html

Deborah DiGilio, MPH Director, Office on Aging American Psychological Association 750 First Street, NE Washington, DC 20002-4242 (202) 336-6135 (202) 336-6040 FAX DDiGilio@apa.org http://www.apa.org/pi/aging

INFO: APA's Respnse to Amy Goodman of "Democracy Now"

Recently the program "Democracy Now" featured a segment regarding APA's work on interrogations. The host of "Democracy Now," Amy Goodman, wrote an editorial based on this segment. Below please find a link to the editorial and APA's response, for those whose listserv members have an interest in this issue. http://www.aspendailynews.com/archive_20025

An editorial "Hypocritical Oath: Psychologists and Torture," by Amy Goodman, based on a segment of the program "Democracy Now," contains numerous factual errors and omissions about APA's work on ethics and interrogations. As examples:

Over the past 20 years, APA has made no less than five statements regarding its absolute, unequivocal and emphatic prohibition against torture. The 2006 Resolution states that psychologists must work in accordance with international human rights instruments relevant to their roles. The editorial makes no reference whatsoever to these statements, or even as much as acknowledges them.

The position that torture and abusive interrogation tactics are unethical and immoral, as well as ineffective is the position APA is vigorously fighting for in the ongoing debate over interrogation techniques. Numerous psychologists on the PENS task force have played, and are playing central roles in this fight. Dr. Mike Gelles, whose actions are detailed in an article by Jane Mayer in the New Yorker Magazine, called detainee abuses to the attention of Alberto Mora at the Pentagon, who then fought for the protection of human rights and against abusive interrogations. Dr. Larry James was sent to Abu Ghraib prison after detainee abuses became known, to work to prevent further such abuses from occurring. Dr. Robert Fein, whose work was recently described in the New York Times as gaining increasing attention at high levels of the government, is chair of a group emphasizing the lack of any empirical basis to support harsh interrogation techniques. The editorial mentions none of these individuals or their work. Regarding what the editorial states about Dr. Morgan Banks and SERE techniques, Jane Mayer states in a July 2005 article (New Yorker Magazine) that Morgan Banks required graduates of SERE training to sign a statement promising not to apply the program's counter-resistance methods to U.S.-held detainees. The editorial (which incorrectly states that Salon.com was first to discuss Dr. Morgan Banks and SERE) makes no mention of this fact.

The editorial states that the American Psychiatric Associations and American Medical Associations have "both passed resolutions prohibiting members from participating in interrogations." In fact, when the American Psychiatric Association released its position statement on interrogations, its president stated that the position is not "an ethical rule" and that military psychiatrists following orders "wouldn't get into trouble with" the psychiatric association for participating in interrogations. The AMA has yet to release its full report on the role of physicians in interrogations.

Dr. Jean Maria Arrigo vigorously and openly took notes throughout the entire PENS task force meeting. She has now provided those notes to private individuals, to a University, and to the Senate Armed Services Committee. The agreement about confidentiality was made among task force members, with the only input from APA being that the issue of confidentiality needed to be discussed. At no point was there any attempt by anyone from APA to discourage Dr. Arrigo from taking notes, or doing with her notes whatever she chose, and any suggestion to the contrary is simply false.

The editorial states that the members of the PENS Task Force were "secret." Again, this statement is simply false. The names and biographical statements of the task members were provided to the Council of Representatives (approximately 165 individuals) shortly after the Task Force was named, several weeks before the Task Force met in June of 2005. At no point were any restrictions placed on the further dissemination of this information, which was also posted on an APA division website well before the Task Force met.

The editorial fails to mention that in the fall of 2006 the president of APA signed onto a letter drafted by Physicians for Human Rights that explicitly called for the prohibition of techniques discussed in the editorial, such as stress positions, sleep deprivation, sensory deprivation and overload, induced hypothermia, and waterboarding.

APA is funding an extensive program at its 2007 Convention that will include guests on the segment of "Democracy Now" on which the editorial is based-Dr. Arrigo and attorney Len Rubenstein (incorrectly identified in the editorial as "Dr"). APA strongly believes that these individuals, who take significant issue with APA's work on interrogations, have enormously important contributions to make, which APA welcomes. APA is also extremely pleased that Dr. Nina K. Thomas, who served on the PENS Task Force and was also on the "Democracy Now" segment, will be on the Convention program.

"Democracy Now" neither invited a spokesperson from the APA staff to participate in the program, nor informed APA that the segment was to take place.

Sarah Jordan Division Services Office American Psychological Association 750 First Street, NE Washington, DC 20002-4242 (202) 336-6022 FAX: (202) 218-3599 Email: sjordan@apa.org

Monday, June 18, 2007

INFO: Report: Growing Older in America: The Health & Retirement Study

I attended a program last week, Growing Older in America: What You Need to Know About the Health and Retirement Study, sponsored by NIA and the Population Reference Bureau. At that meeting the distributed copies of Growing Older in America: The Health & Retirement Study. It is available at:

http://www.nia.nih.gov/ResearchInformation/ExtramuralPrograms/BehavioralAndSocialResearch/HRS.htm

The report "describes the breadth and depth of the HRS to help familiarize a broad range of researchers; policymakers; media; and organizations concerned with health, economics, and aging with this data resource. Published in 2007, this colorful data book describes the HRS's development and features and offers a snapshot of research findings based on analyses of the Study's data. Sections of the report look at older adults' health, work and retirement, income and wealth, and family characteristics and intergenerational transfers. More than 65 figures and tables illustrate the text."

Deborah DiGilio, MPH Director, Office on Aging American Psychological Association 750 First Street, NE Washington, DC 20002-4242 (202) 336-6135 (202) 336-6040 FAX DDiGilio@apa.org http://www.apa.org/pi/aging

JOBS/STUDENTS: Georgia Tech postdoctoral search reopened

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN COGNITIVE AGING

The Cognitive Aging Program in the School of Psychology at Georgia Institute of Technology is re-opening its search for an opening for a postdoctoral Fellow on its NIH-sponsored training grant starting in August, 2007. We are equally interested in persons with prior training in cognitive aging and individuals with a background in cognitive or developmental psychology looking to gain new experience with aging research. Candidates for the position must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Under-represented racial and ethnic minority candidates are encouraged to apply. Postdoctoral trainees work with core faculty members in the Cognitive Aging Program including: Fredda Blanchard-Fields - social cognition, everyday problem solving; Arthur Dan Fisk - attention, human factors, applied cognition; Christopher Hertzog - memory, metacognition, individual differences; Wendy A. Rogers - human factors, applied cognition, attention and learning; Anderson D. Smith - episodic memory, animal models; Daniel H. Spieler - language production, modeling; Paul Verhaeghen - attention, working memory, and speed of processing. There are also other faculty affiliated with our training program who can collaborate with postdoctoral fellows. More information about the program can be found on the web page:

http://www.psychology.gatech.edu/cogaging/

To apply, please send a vitae, publications, a letter of application, and three reference letters immediately to Christopher Hertzog; School of Psychology; Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA 30332-0170. The position will stay open until filled. The Georgia Institute of Technology is a unit of the University System of Georgia.

INFO: Division 20 Election results

It is my please to announce, on behalf of the Division 20 Elections Committee, our new officers:

President: Liz Zelinski Members at large: Susan Charles & Becca Levy Council Rep: Norm Abeles

Please join us in congratulating them. We would also like to thank the other candidates who took the time to run, and the members who voted.

Chair, Elections Committee

Avron Spiro III, PhD Normative Aging Study MAVERIC VA Boston Healthcare System 150 South Huntington Avenue Boston MA 02130 aspiro3@bu.edu 857.364.2888 Phone 857.364.6528 Fax

Friday, June 08, 2007

JOBS: Research Coordinator, Univ. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Research Program Coordinator

Adult Learning Lab

The Adult Learning Lab is funded by the National Institute on Aging to investigate changes in the learning process as a function of age during adulthood. The function of the Research Program Coordinator position is to supervise and coordinate research activities in the Adult Learning Lab and coordinate activities among multiple task-based teams so as to facilitate smooth operation of community-based research.

Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Psychology or related field required. Demonstrated ability to conduct and interpret basic descriptive statistics; experience with word processing, spreadsheets, and other software packages; extensive database management experience, experience in a research lab and managing or supervising people at various levels. Demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills. Demonstrate ability to work independently and energetically in the face of competing demands. Exercise good judgment in complex situations.

Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree in Psychology or related field. Coursework and/or research experience in cognitive psychology, psycholinguistics, and/or gerontology.

The Research Program Coordinator is a regular, full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. In order to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by July 5, 2007. Applicants may be interviewed prior to the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The expected start is as soon as possible after the closing date.

For more information, contact Liz Stine-Morrow, eals@uiuc.edu.

Please submit a detailed cover letter, resume, and three letters of professional references, preferably via email, to the following:

Beckman HR 1209 Beckman Institute 405 N. Mathews Avenue Urbana, IL 61801 Phone: (217) 265-0450 Fax: (217) 333-2922 jobs@beckman.uiuc.edu

The University of Illinois is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.

Monday, June 04, 2007

CONFERENCES: Cognitive Aging Conference 4/10-4/14/08

For more information, contact: andy.smith@gatech.edu

The next regularly scheduled COGNITIVE AGING CONFERENCE will be held from Thursday, April 10 through Sunday April 14, 2008 in Atlanta, Georgia. The deadline for submission of abstracts is December 1, 2007. Abstracts can be submitted through the cognitive aging conference website starting in late July.