Monday, February 28, 2011

JOBS: Post Doctoral Positions, Oregon State

Dear Lise & Denis: For the list-serves, please. Thanks! Carolyn
Dear all:
If you're interested in this position, please contact me  at Carolyn.Aldwin@oregonstate.edu.

Carolyn M. Aldwin, Ph.D. Professor
Dept. of Human Development & Family Sciences Oregon State University Corvallis, OR  97330 541 737-2024; 541 737-1076 (fax)

From: "McCubbin, Jeff" <jeff.mccubbin@oregonstate.edu>
Date: February 24, 2011 2:07:52 PM PST
To: HHS All <hhsall@oregonstate.edu>
Subject: Post Doctoral Positions
HHS all:

We are pleased to announce that a process is now ready and in place to seek applicants for four post-doctoral research positions, funded by the College. It is posting 0006976 on the OSU HR website. The initial closing date for consideration is 4/25/11.

Awards are competitive, with a major emphasis on potential for independent and innovative research. These are 12-month, fixed-term positions at full-time (1.0 FTE) for the first and second year. Reappointment is possible for two additional years, with funding at 0.75 and 0.50 FTE in years 3 and 4, respectively. FTE in years 3 and 4 can be increased to 1.0 with external funding. Successful candidates will be paired with faculty mentors for training in the development and submission of fundable research proposals, research collaboration, and publishable manuscripts. HHS Research Associate post-docs will be encouraged to seek external funding, and may serve as Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator on grant proposals. Following postdoctoral training, and based on mutual agreement of the College and the candidate, successful postdoctoral trainees will become research or considered for tenure-track faculty positions. We seek to diversify our faculty and this will be a priority in considering applicants.

The current College of HHS is in the process of becoming an accredited College of Public Health and Human Sciences. Toward that goal, we are expanding graduate programs and building capacity to substantially increase the research opportunities in areas of Public Health and Human Sciences. In addition, we are expanding interdisciplinary research programs within the Division of Health Sciences at OSU, which includes the Colleges of HHS, Pharmacy, and Veterinary Medicine. These new Postdoctoral positions will contribute to meeting College and Divisional goals.

I would welcome the recommendations and CV's of people who may be interested, or you can directly contact qualified applicants and encourage them to apply.

JMc

Jeff McCubbin
OSU Distinguished Professor of Exercise Science
and Executive Associate Dean
College of Health and Human Sciences
123 Women's Building
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
541-737-5921 phone
541-737-4230 fax

INFO: Environmental Gerontology

CALL FOR PAPERS

Journal of Housing for the Elderly

Announces a Special Issue:

Environmental Gerontology: What Now?

Special Issue Editors: Rick J. Scheidt, Ph.D. and Benyamin Schwarz, Ph.D.

Environmental Gerontology or the research on aging and environment evolved during the late 1960s when the domain became a relevant topic due to societal concerns with the problems of housing elderly people. The field proliferated during the 1970s and the 1980s and remains viable and active today on an international scale. However, in recent times we have asked ourselves questions about the viability of the field and its future.

Alan Kay, the American computer scientist taught us that the best way to predict the future is to invent it. Thus this special issue of the Journal of Housing for the Elderly seeks to explore the current state of the field of Environmental Gerontology and discuss alternative prescriptions for sustaining the health and the future of this discipline. We are looking for manuscripts which can be problem-guided (i.e., new training models in both design and research/science areas), area-guided (i.e. housing, technology, special needs), setting/place guided (i.e., independent housing-assisted living arrangements), special populations guided (i.e., aging in prison environments, aging of individuals with developmental disabilities), or agenda-guided (i.e., survival of the field in varied disciplines; what indicators can be used to gauge the viability of Environmental Gerontology; is the field progressing? If yes, in what sense?)

Conceptual articles and research-based papers from disciplines such as psychology, sociology, architecture and other design fields, regional and community planning, geographical gerontology, occupational therapy, social policy and health related fields, and other relevant fields are welcome.

Deadline:

Please submit a 100-500 word abstract describing your full-length paper (approximately 4,000-6,000 words). The deadline for abstracts is March 30, 2011 after which abstracts will be selected to be developed as papers for this special issue. Invited papers will be submitted to a peer-review process and will be required to meet the journal’s standards for publication. Final papers will be due in June 2011 and sent for publication in Fall 2011.

The Journal of Housing for the Elderly is a scholarly peer-reviewed journal that has been in circulation since 1983. Sample issues and tables of contents may be viewed at http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/WJHE.

Abstracts should be sent electronically to Rick Scheidt, rscheidt@k-state.edu or Benyamin Schwarz, Schwarzb@missouri.edu

AWARDS: 2011 APA Convention Travel Awards

From Keith Cooke, kcooke@apa.org:Revised: February 8, 2011

American Psychological Association

2011 APA Convention Travel Awards

for Early Career Professionals

The Board of Convention Affairs along with the Board of Scientific Affairs and the Committee on Early Career Psychologists are pleased to announce a travel award program for early career members from all areas of psychology (education, practice, public interest and science) to attend the 2011 APA Annual Convention in Washington, D.C., August 4-7, at the Washington Convention Center.

Thirteen award recipients will receive $750 to be applied toward their 2011 APA convention expenses.  The program is designed to encourage attendance and increase representation of early career members at this year’s APA convention.

All early career APA members (within seven years receipt of their doctorate) are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants who are first-time attendees, or whose primary work is in basic psychological science or those who will be presenting at the 2011 convention. The submission package must include the following information:

1.       Brief statement (maximum one page) about your interest in attending the convention and how you will use this award to support your attendance. Please highlight any significant achievements in your career as well as any leadership positions you have held as an early career psychologists (within APA, other related scholarly or professional organizations such as state and local psychological associations) and indicate how you believe you would benefit from attending the convention.  Also, please include in your statement if the 2011 convention will be your first APA convention and if you will be receiving other funding to help cover your expenses.

2.       If you are presenting at the 2011 APA convention, please include an abstract of your presentation along with the title and the names of co-presenters. Please note that you do not need to be a presenter to be eligible for this travel award.

3.       Include your Curriculum Vitae (the year you were awarded a doctorate in psychology should be clearly stated).

Electronic submission instructions:  Please submit all materials in a single Word document.  Put your name and the name of the award in the subject line (e.g. Jane Smith, Early Career Travel Award).

The deadline for submission of materials is April 25, 2011, midnight (EST). Email or fax all materials to Kraig Scott (kscott@apa.org); fax # 202-216-7628.  Award winners will be notified in May 2011 and will be acknowledged during the Early Career Social Hour sponsored by the Committee on Early Career Psychologists at the APA convention on Friday, August 5, 2011 at 6PM.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

INFO: Nominations for APA Boards and Committees

On behalf of the Division 20 Executive Committee, I would like to encourage you to nominate yourself or colleagues to APA Boards and Committees.The deadline for nominations is March 4. If you would like Division 20 to support the nomination, please respond back to me (swhitbo@psych.umass.edu) and I will collate the names. You can access the document that contains the slates here. If for some reason you can't get to the form from the link, just email me and I'll send you the file.

Be sure to read carefully the description of the open slates. Each one is very specific about what type of nominee is desired. At this point, though, you don't have to limit yourself to one committee or board nomination. Most terms are for 3 years. Nominations are taken now and voting begins in the fall among Council members. Terms begin in January, 2012.

Service on an APA Board or Committee is an important way to ensure that our "aging voice" is heard through the organization. Make yours heard by getting involved in these governance groups.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Susan

--

Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology and Director, Office of National Scholarship Advisement

--
Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology and Director, Office of National Scholarship Advisement
611 Tobin Hall
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst MA 01003
413-545-4306 (O)
413-545-0996 (F)
http://www.psych.umass.edu/people/susanwhitbourne
http://www.searchforfulfillment.com/
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age

STUDENTS: Public Policy Graduate Student Internship

FYI…

The Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) is currently seeking applicants for the 2011-2012 Public Policy Graduate Student Internship Program.  The deadline for applications is March 25th.  Applicants must be in at least their second year of graduate training and be available to work 15 hours per week.

PURPOSE: To provide graduate students with first-hand knowledge of the ways in which psychological research can inform public policy and the roles psychologists can play in its formulation and implementation.

PROGRAM: The graduate student intern will spend one year working on public interest policy issues on the staff of the Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) of the American Psychological Association (APA). PI-GRO helps to

formulate and implement APA positions on major federal policy initiatives of importance to psychology in the public interest. PI-GRO works to influence legislative and regulatory activities impacting populations and areas, such as: disabilities; aging; socioeconomic status; ethnic and racial minorities; children, youth, and families; lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons; individuals with HIV/AIDS; as well as social concerns (e.g. media; or trauma, violence, and abuse). The intern's activities include participating in legislative and advocacy work, such as assisting in

the preparation of testimony and briefing papers, and attending congressional hearings and coalition meetings.

CRITERIA: Applicants must be enrolled in a doctoral program in psychology, in at least the second year of graduate training, and have a strong interest in applying psychological research findings to the solution of social problems. The intern must be able to work quickly and communicate effectively on a wide range of topics, and be able to work cooperatively with individuals having diverse viewpoints. The intern must demonstrate competence in conducting literature reviews and summarizing findings for a non-scientific audience. Applicants should be members of the

American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS) and must be available to work 15 hours per week in APA's Central Office in Washington, D.C., from September 2011 until August 2012.

STIPEND: The internship provides a stipend of $15.00 per hour.

APPLICATION: Interested students are required to submit the following materials by March 25, 2011:

1) a completed application coversheet

2) a current vitae providing information about educational background and any relevant professional, public policy, and/or legislative experience;

3) a personal statement of 500 words or less, expressing the applicant's interest in psychology and public policy,

and what the applicant hopes to learn from the internship experience;

4) a letter from the Department indicating the applicant is enrolled and is in good standing with the college/university;

5) a literature review (limit five pages) displaying the applicant's ability to communicate complex ideas; and 6) three letters of recommendation that specifically address the applicant's dependability, confidentiality, and aptitude for policy work or research, based on the recommender's past or current experience with the applicant. Each letter of recommendation must be accompanied by a Reference Survey, to be completed by the author of the letter of recommendation.

Applications must be received in their entirety by March 25, 2011 and should be mailed to:

American Psychological Association

Public Interest Government Relations Office - Internship Program

750 First Street, N.E.

Washington, DC 200024242

For additional information about the application process, please contact Ben Vonachen, Senior Legislative Assistant, at(202) 336-‐6097 or bvonachen@apa.org. Further information may also be found at www.apa.org/about/gr/fellows

Monday, February 21, 2011

INFO: Please help Division 20 increase its membership for 2011!

Dear members of the APA Division 20 List-Serv,

As we continue through 2011, we are hoping to match or exceed our total membership from last year!  If you have not renewed your membership, please consider doing so or joining as a new member!  As a long-time member of the Division myself, membership has allowed me to enjoy the multitude of professional benefits of Division 20 including job opportunities, faculty development, research training, and networking contacts that will help me throughout my career.

Please visit the APA Division 20 membership page (
http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/join.htm) and fill out an application to join as a new member or a renewed member.  The membership page also provides a wealth detail of why membership in Division 20 is such a great professional opportunity.
In response to the need to create flexible membership options and encourage more robust participation in Division 20, we are excited to announce two new membership categories for new or current members:

1.  Professional affiliates are persons who, due to their proficiency in areas related to the mission of the Division, can contribute to the Division's objectives but do not hold membership in the American Psychological Association.

2.  International affiliates are also proficient in areas related to the mission of the Division and can contribute to the Division's objectives, but reside in a country outside of the United States.  International affiliates do not have to hold membership in the American Psychological Association to join Division 20.

Dues for both Professional and International Affiliates are the same as Divisional dues for full members (e.g., $44 per year), and confer many of the same benefits as Full Members, including subscriptions to Adult Development & Aging News as well as Psychology and Aging.  However, to reiterate: one does not have to join APA itself in order to be an Affiliate of Division 20!

To join as a Professional or International Affiliate, please go to http://memforms.apa.org/apa/cli/divapp/.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at the email or numbers below.

If you are a member, you will note on the APA Division 20 membership page that we have designed new brochures.  If you would like some brochures to post in your office or share with colleagues, please let me know and I would be happy to mail you some.  Please spread the word and encourage your colleagues to join.

If you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do to help facilitate your membership in APA Division 20, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Sincerely,

Joe Gaugler
Membership Chair
APA Division 20

P.S.  Please forgive the monthly emails, but we continue to work towards increasing our membership numbers and enhancing our Division benefits!  Please be on the lookout for some great webinars this spring: one on grant writing and development for early career psychologists, and another on resources and tools to guide dementia caregiver intervention (APA CEUs offered for the latter).

_____________________

Joseph E. Gaugler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, McKnight Presidential Fellow
School of Nursing, Center on Aging
University of Minnesota
6-153 Weaver-Densford Hall, 1331
308 Harvard Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN  55455
Phone: 612-626-2485
Cell Phone: 651-605-5611
Fax: 612-625-7180
Email: gaug0015@umn.edu
http://www.nursing.umn.edu/FacultyStaffandPreceptors/GauglerJoseph/home.html
_____________________

INFO: A Nonpharmacological Petition regarding dementia treatment

Dear Colleagues,
Those of you interested in the ongoing discussions regarding proposed new diagnostic criteria for Alzheimer's disease and issues related to nonpharmacologic treatment for dementia may find the following message and request of great interest. The e-mail is in two parts: An overview and request from John Zeisel, and a response to a question posed in the NY Times, which is the heart of the matter.
Best regards,
Cameron Camp
President, APA Div. 20

Friday, February 18, 2011

INFO: VA Advanced Fellowship Program in Mental Illness

Hi,
I am forwarding this information for a colleague.
Greg Hinrichsen

VISN 2 Center for Integrated Healthcare

VA Advanced Fellowship Program in Mental Illness

Applications are Currently Being Accepted
Applications are currently being accepted for the VISN 2 Center for Integrated Healthcare (CIH) Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship which is housed at Buffalo VA Medical Center, VA Western NY Healthcare System (VAWNYHCS). This is a two-year position commencing in the summer of 2011. Programmatic emphasis is on research and clinical training experience in Integrated Primary Care and Geropsychology. The Fellow's distribution of effort will be 75% research and 25% clinical.
The mission of the VISN 2 CIH's Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship Program is to train psychologists to become outstanding clinical researchers in the high priority area of mental health care for Veterans, specifically in the area of Integrated Primary Care. The clinical and research focus of the VISN 2 CIH is to improve the health of veterans by supporting the implementation of empirically-based methods of Integrated Primary Care. VISN 2 is the first VISN in the VA to ensure that a Behavioral Health Provider is assigned to every primary care clinic in the network. Numerous research opportunities are available.
Postdoctoral fellows will work collaboratively with CIH mentors on research related to brief mental health interventions and assessment suited to the primary care setting. These include but are not limited to novel approaches to population-based mental health care related to depression in older adults, dementia, pain, PTSD and substance use disorders. The fellows will also receive didactics and supervised experience in direct clinical service in the integrated primary care setting as well as in Geriatric Evaluation and Management Clinic.
Additionally, fellows will be provided with national didactic training opportunities. Information regarding the Department of Veterans Affairs Mental Illness, Education, and Clinical Centers Fellowship Program can be found at: http://www.mirecc.va.gov/
Prospective Fellows, in addition to having completed an APA-accredited pre-doctoral psychology internship, must have their degree (PhD or PsyD) from an APA-accredited graduate program.

Start Date: Approximately July 1, 2011

Number of Post-Doctoral Positions: 2

Stipend: $ $43,283

Benefits: Health Insurance, 13 days paid vacation and up to 13 days of sick leave

Length of program: 24 months

Application Procedure:

To apply

Candidates should submit the following:

1. Detailed vita describing background training and experience, description of internship, and other scholarly activity and research.

2. Three letters of recommendation. Must be from previous supervisors.

3. Official transcripts of your graduate work sent directly by your university.

4. Writing Samples. Please send a scholarly work sample and clinical case report
5. Cover Letter/Letter of Intent: The letter should clearly describe how your career goals and interests are aligned with the fellowship training opportunities.
**** Due to the open ended nature of the recruiting and selection process for this position, applicants are encouraged to email the materials (if possible) directly to randy.allen@va.gov, the Center for Integrated Healthcare Training Specialist. Unofficial Transcripts and e-mailed letters are acceptable until official transcripts and signed letters arrive.

Person to contact: Laura O. Wray, Ph.D., Director of Education VHA Center for Integrated Healthcare, with any questions. Email to: laura.wray@va.gov

Address:
Laura Wray, PhD
Director of Education VHA CIH (116B)
3495 Bailey Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14215
Phone: (716) 862-8595

Thursday, February 17, 2011

INFO: IOM consensus study to begin on geriatric mental health workforce

You may recall that last year, Diane Elmore of the APA Public Interest Government Relations Office, reported to this list serve that APA and the American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry (AAGP)  worked together to secure the congressional language and appropriations for this study, The Mental Health Workforce for Geriatric Populations. She and AAGP staff also met with HHS to provide assistance regarding their implementation plan.   We are very, very disappointed to report that NONE of the individuals  APA nominated were selected although some excellent, excellent, folks were nominated and APA was involved from the outset to make this happen.

We WILL  however remain involved. We will submit materials and also reach out to APA members who are on the panel including psychologists, Fred Blow, Margarita Alegria, and  Michael Hogue to inform them of the great progress being made in geropsychology and of our contributions to the field.  We will also reach out to our "friends of psychology" who are on the panel.  I will work with CONA,  Geropsychology Specialty Council, Divisions 20 and 12-2, PLTC and COPGTP to make sure that we are educating and providing information to these folks all along the way.

More Info:  http://www.iom.edu/Activities/MentalHealth/GeriatricMentalHealth.aspx?utm_medium=etmail&utm_source=Institute%20of%20Medicine&utm_campaign=02.14.11+Activity+Alert&utm_content=New%20Activities&utm_term=Non-profit

Debbie

Deborah DiGilio| Director, Office on Aging

Public Interest Directorate

American Psychological Association

750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242

Tel: (202) 336-6135 |  Fax: (202) 336-6040

email: ddigilio@apa.org | www.apa.org/pi/aging

Monday, February 14, 2011

AWARDS: Call for Nominations, Developmental Health Award

REMINDER:  Call for Nominations: Developmental Health Award (deadline extended)

The Aging and Health Committee of the American Psychological Association is soliciting nominations for the recipient of the 2011 Developmental Health Award, which will be given at APA in Washington, DC. This award was established in 1996. Seven awards have been given: M. Powell Lawton (1997), Janice Kiecolt-Glaser (1999), Howard Leventhal (2001), Richard Schulz (2003), Karen Rook (2005), Ilene Siegler (2007), and Margaret Gatz (2009). This biennial award recognizes individuals who have made scholarly contributions to the fields of health and aging.

Members of Divisions 20 and/or 38 can nominate candidates for the award. Each nomination should be accompanied by a 100-200 word summary of the nominee's credentials, and reasons why the nominee should be recognized with this award. Nominations should be submitted to the Committee Chair, Lynn Martire at lmm51@psu.edu by February 21, 2011. Nominations and supporting summaries will be compiled and sent to members of the Aging and Health Committee. Members of the Committee will vote for the award recipient. When the recipient has been determined, an announcement will be sent to the listservs of Divisions 20 and 38. The recipient will give an invited address at the Award Ceremony at APA in August.

We encourage you to submit nominations of worthy scholars whose work bridges the fields of health and aging.

Lynn M. Martire, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Human Development & Family Studies
Penn State University
114-J Henderson Building
University Park, PA 16802
(voice) 814.865.7374
(FAX) 814.863.9423

Saturday, February 12, 2011

JOBS: postdoctoral fellowships in Cognitive Aging at the Georgia Institute of Technology

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS IN COGNITIVE AGING

The Cognitive Aging Program in the School of Psychology at Georgia Institute of Technology will have two openings for postdoctoral Fellowships on our NIH-sponsored Ruth L. Kirschstein training grant starting as early as October 1, 2011. Starting dates are negotiable. The duration of the traineeship is between 1 and 3 years. Postdoctoral trainees work with core faculty members with research interests in adult cognitive development, including: Audrey Duarte – neuroscience of memory; Arthur Dan Fisk - attention, human factors, applied cognition; Christopher Hertzog - memory, metacognition, intelligence; Wendy A. Rogers - human factors, applied cognition, attention and learning; Anderson D. Smith - episodic memory, animal models; Daniel H. Spieler - attention, language processing, modeling; Paul Verhaeghen – attention, speed of processing, working memory. There are also other faculty members affiliated with our training program who can collaborate with postdoctoral fell!
ows. Stipend levels are set by the federal government and increase with years of postdoctoral experience. The traineeship also provides each trainee with travel funds, an allowance for research expenses, and an allowance for health insurance. More information about faculty interests and the School of Psychology can be located at http://www.psychology.gatech.edu. Fellowships are restricted to U.S. citizens or permanent U. S. residents. Applicants should have a completed a Ph.D. in psychology or a related discipline (e.g., cognitive neuroscience). To apply, please send a c. v., publications, a statement of research interests identifying possible matches to at least one core faculty mentor, and three letters of reference to Christopher Hertzog; School of Psychology; Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA 30332-0170. On-line applications will also be accepted through the following URL:
https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/659. Applications received by April 15, 2011, have the best chance of being reviewed for available fellowships, but applications will be accepted and reviewed until the positions are filled. Applications from members of ethnic and racial minorities are strongly encouraged. Georgia Institute of Technology is a unit of the University System of Georgia and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

Friday, February 11, 2011

INFO: PsycAdvocates Day 2011

Please see below for information about the 2011 PsycAdvocates Day that will be held on August 4, in conjunction with APA Convention in Washington, DC.  We would appreciate you sharing this information with your committees and related divisions.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Many thanks,

Diane

Diane Elmore, PhD, MPH

Associate Executive Director

Director, Congressional Fellowship Program

Government Relations Office

Public Interest Directorate
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242
Tel: 202.336.6104 |  Fax: 202.336.6063

email: delmore@apa.org | www.apa.org

PsycAdvocates™ Day

August 4, 2011

9:00 am-4:00 pm

The APA Education and Public Interest Government Relations Offices invite you to join us for the 2011 PsycAdvocates Day, which provides members with an exciting opportunity to serve as federal policy advocates for psychology. This day-long event, which will end in time for “Opening Session” of the APA convention, will begin with a morning federal advocacy training that will include an overview of the federal legislative process, strategies for effectively informing and influencing policymakers, and a briefing on current legislative issues on APA’s advocacy agenda. The day will culminate with early afternoon visits to Capitol Hill to meet with Members of Congress or their staff to advocate on pressing issues facing the psychology community. The congressional visits are a requirement for participation in the workshop. No prior advocacy experience or preparation is required to participate.

CE Credits: 3

Enrollment Limit: 75

Fee: Member $75

Nonmember $100

(Breakfast and lunch will be provided as part of your enrollment fee.)

Enrollment opens April 15, 2011. Enroll online at http://www.apa.org/convention or call the CEP Office at 800-374-2721, ext. 5991.

For more information or questions about this workshop, please contact Ben Vonachen at (202) 336-6097 or bvonachen@apa.org or visit the PsycAdvocates website at http://www.apa.org/news/events/2011/psycadvocates-day.aspx

Thursday, February 10, 2011

JOBS: Cognitive Aging tenure-track position at Georgia Tech

The School of Psychology at the Georgia Institute of Technology invites applications for a tenure-track position in the area of Cognitive Aging to begin Fall, 2011 or Spring, 2012. Rank is Assistant or Associate Professor. We are seeking an outstanding scholar and researcher in the adult development of cognition and/or emotion. We are especially interested in candidates whose research interests include cognitive and affective neuroscience. Candidates who wish to be considered at the rank of Assistant Professor should show evidence for the ability to develop and maintain an externally funded program of research. Candidates for hiring at the rank of Associate Professor should demonstrate a high level of scholarly productivity and a record of external funding for their research program. Applicants will be expected to supervise research and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in their specialty area and to teach courses appropriate for their area of affiliation. All ap!
plicants must have a Ph.D. in Psychology, or related field, at the time of appointment. Salary and start-up funds will be commensurate with experience and are highly competitive. Candidates should send a C.V., a statement of research and teaching interests, and arrange for 3 letters of recommendation to be sent to the Cognitive Aging Search Committee, School of Psychology, 654 Cherry St. NW, Atlanta, GA 30332-0170 or apply online at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/653. Review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled, but applications received by March 15 2011 have the best opportunity for consideration.

The Georgia Institute of Technology is part of the University System of Georgia and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women and minority candidates are especially welcome. The School of Psychology is located in the College of Sciences and has 22 full-time faculty members, 80 graduate students and 130 undergraduate psychology majors. The School is housed in a recently renovated building that provides excellent research facilities. State-of-the-art neuroimaging facilities and laboratory space are available at the Center for Advanced Brain Imaging (http://www.cabiatl.com/CABI/), including a research-dedicated 3T magnet. For more information about the School of Psychology please visit our web site: http://www.psychology.gatech.edu

Monday, February 07, 2011

INFO: New Book: Not Quite Adults

Dear Colleague, I wanted to let you know about the publication of a new book, NOT QUITE ADULTS, which might be of interest to you and your students. The book is based on nearly a decade of research conducted by the MacArthur Research Network on Transitions to Adulthood. All best wishes, -- Rick Settersten

NEW BOOK: Settersten, Richard A., & Ray, Barbara E. (2010) NOT QUITE ADULTS: Why 20-Somethings are Choosing a Slower Path to Adulthood, and Why It’s Good for Everyone. (Random House/Bantam, December 28). For information, see http://www.notquiteadults.com or http://www.amazon.com/Not-Quite-Adults-20-Somethings-Adulthood/dp/0553807404

--
Richard A. Settersten, Jr., Ph.D.
Human Development and Family Sciences