Sunday, November 29, 2009

POLICY --APA asks experts to comment on draft objectives for Healthy People 2020

Dear Colleagues:

For the past thirty years, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has issued 10-year national objectives for promoting health and preventing disease. Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) employs insights from research, innovations in health care, and lessons learned from public health experience to set goals for improving the nation's health over the next decade. The "Healthy People" process is built on objectives and benchmarks to monitor progress over time. The planning process for Healthy People 2020 is well under way, and comments are now being accepted online on the draft goals and objectives. Comments may be submitted, and previous comments reviewed, from this page: http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/comments/ <https://mail.apa.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/comments/> Comments will be accepted online through December 31, 2009.

The behavioral and social sciences have a lot to contribute to this process. Indeed many psychologists have been involved in the development of the draft plan. As in past iterations of the "Healthy People" planning process, the American Psychological Association encourages its expert members to weigh in on these issues, and develops its own set of comments as well. Any comments, compliments, or criticism you have can inform the APA comments, if you will take the time to share your thoughts with us.

The HP 2020 Framework is organized around a central vision: "A society in which all people live long, healthy lives." The mission presented in the Framework emphasizes the need for a strong foundation of scientific data and evidence to inform policies and practices to improve health, the importance of increasing public awareness of the social determinants of health and disease, as well as the need to engage multiple sectors of society to take actions to strengthen policies and practices that impact health.

The draft is organized around four overarching goals:

* To attain high quality, longer lives free of preventable disease, disability, injury, and premature death;

* To achieve health equity, eliminate disparities, and improve the health of all groups;

* To create social and physical environments that promote good health for all;

* To promote quality of life, healthy development and healthy behaviors across all life stages.

We at APA urge you to go to the website and look over the draft. It is an important document, and will be influential in shaping public health policy and practice over the next ten years. There are many objectives, some retained from HP 2010, and others newly proposed. From the topic areas page (http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/Objectives/TopicAreas.aspx <https://mail.apa.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/Objectives/TopicAreas.aspx> ) you can examine goals in any area (e.g. adolescent health, diabetes, health communication, HIV).

Comment individually if you wish - then share your impressions and concerns with APA. Contact Pat Kobor, Science Government Relations Office, at pkobor@apa.org <mailto:pkobor@apa.org> , (202/336-5933) no later than Friday, December 18, 2009 at 5 pm.

Thank you!

Patricia Clem Kobor

Sr. Science Policy Analyst

American Psychological Association

750 First Street, NE

Washington, DC 20002

(202) 336-5933

(202) 336-6063-f

pkobor@apa.org

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

INFO: Going Global with Study, Teaching and Service in Psychology

From Merry Bullock, MBullock@apa.org:

Going Global with Study, Teaching and Service in Psychology – Call for Programming at the 2010 APA Convention

APA’s Committee on International Relations in Psychology (CIRP) is sponsoring a roundtable session at the 2010 APA Convention in San Diego to inform about international study, teaching, and service opportunities for psychologists. "Going Global with Study, Teaching and Service" will provide a platform for psychologists to discuss and learn about opportunities, gather ideas, and network with others interested in or engaged in international teaching, international study abroad, international research, and international applications of psychology and service.

CIRP is seeking contact information for those of you who are or have been involved in such activities (e.g. study abroad courses, international teaching, Doctors without Borders, international consulting, etc.) and brief descriptions of what you are doing or have done and where. CIRP’s aim is to identify individuals who would be willing to share information about the programs they are involved in, study abroad courses they have developed, etc. in a roundtable format that promotes a cross-fertilization of ideas and opportunities for expanding our own perspectives, as well as that of our students.

Please send your contact information and a short (paragraph length) description of your international experience to mbullock@apa.org. If your experience is in the Fulbright program or Peace Corps please indicate that in the header of the email (we are developing separate lists for activities with those organizations). Thanks much!

Merry Bullock, PhD
Senior Director | Office of International Affairs
American Psychological Association
750 First Street, NE, Washington, DC  20002-4242
Tel: (202) 336-6024 | Fax: (202) 312-6499
email: mbullock@apa.org; www.apa.org

INFO: Your apportionment ballot

Dear Division 20 Listserv member,
If you have not received your apportionment ballot (they were mailed on Nov. 2) please contact Garnett Coad at the APA Elections Office (gcoad@apa.org). They were apparently send 3rd class but they should have gotten to you by now.

As soon as you get the ballot, or if you've gotten it already and haven't voted, please consider giving all 10 of your votes to Division 20. If you can't give us all your votes, please give us as many as you can possibly manage. In any case, don't let that ballot go to waste. Please return it as soon as possible!!

These are important times for aging in APA and we need to keep our 2 council representatives. Last year we were very close to losing our second seat, so every vote definitely counts.

Thanks!!
Best,
Susan
Division 20 Council Representative and Fellowship Chair

--
Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology

Monday, November 23, 2009

INFO: Outing Age 2002, Elder Justice Act

FYI:

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and SAGE (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders) today jointly released Outing Age 2010: Public Policy Issues Affecting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Elders, an update to the groundbreaking Outing Age report issued in 2000. Like its predecessor, Outing Age 2010 presents an in-depth look at public policy issues and challenges facing millions of aging LGBT people in the United Stateswww.sageusa.org

Also, update on Elder Justice Act:  support is broad for the Elder Justice Act, which is linked to healthcare reform measures, http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-elder-abuse23-2009nov23,0,2818119.story.  APA has been a long-time supporter of this legislation. Dr. Diane Elmore, of the APA Public Interest Government Relations Office, represents APA on the Elder Justice Coalition that has worked for the passage of the Act.

Deborah DiGilio| Director, Office on Aging
Public Interest Directorate
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242
Tel: (202) 336-6135 |  Fax: (202) 336-6040
email: ddigilio
@apa.org | www.apa.org/pi/aging

APA Logo

Saturday, November 21, 2009

STUDENTS: Graduate Study at UT Austin

The Lifespan Development Lab at the University of Texas at Austin is seeking applicants for doctoral study in psychology. Training emphases can include cognitive development, cognitive aging, individual differences, and/or quantitative methods. More information about the Lifespan Development Lab can be found at www.lifespanlab.com.

Applications are due on January 1, 2010. More information about the application procedure can be found at http://www.psy.utexas.edu/psy/GradProgram/application.html.

-- Elliot M. Tucker-Drob, Ph.D. Assistant Professor Department of Psychology Faculty Research Associate Population Research Center The University of Texas at Austin 1 University Station A8000 Austin, TX 78712-0187 tuckerdrob@psy.utexas.edu www.lifespanlab.com

Friday, November 20, 2009

INFO: Information Alert! Legislative Update on Medicare Priorities

Thank you all for responding to the initial Action Alert.

This is a To Be Continued story...
Merla
Dr. M. Arnold, PhD, RN Licensed Psychologist - Registered Nurse Psychological Services, Behavioral Health  Counseling, Consultation and Education Focused on the Needs of Older Adults Western Suffolk/Eastern Nassau Counties, LI, NY Long Term Care Settings (631) 271-9863  "It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom.  It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken  and the wisest might err." Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)  “It is better to know the patient who has the disease than it is to know the disease which the patient has.”  Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

Cook, Jeff wrote:

       Urgent

       Action

       Required

  X   For Your

       Information

APA Practice

Organization

Information Alert

Date:               November 20, 2009

To:                  SPTA and Division Federal Advocacy Coordinators

APAGS Coordinators

From:              Marilyn Richmond, J.D., Assistant Executive Director for Government Relations

American Psychological Association Practice Organization

Cc:                  Katherine Nordal, Ph.D., Executive Director for Professional Practice

SPTA Executive Directors

SPTA Directors of Professional Affairs

CAPP

Re:                  Legislative Update on Medicare Priorities

I am pleased to inform you that yesterday the House passed legislation to permanently replace the flawed Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) formula and prevent the 21.2% cut to Medicare provider payments from taking effect in 2010.  The Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act (H.R. 3961) would provide a 1% update for providers in 2010 followed by regular inflation-based adjustments in future years.  With the help of psychologists like you across the country, we were able to mobilize nearly 4,000 messages to members of the House in a very short period of time.  Great work!  The vote was 243-183.  You can see how your Representative voted at http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll909.xml

On Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) unveiled the leadership’s comprehensive health care reform legislation, merging together the Finance Committee and Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee versions.  The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act contains several key Medicare provisions halting the scheduled SGR cut, providing a 0.5% update in 2010 and extending our 5% psychotherapy payment restoration.  In order to reduce overall costs, the bill limited the duration of key Medicare provisions to one year, anticipating further action on Medicare again next year.  The full House previously approved a two-year restoration extension as part of the Affordable Health Care for America Act (H.R. 3962) on November 7.

Your advocacy work, combined with direct lobbying by our team in Washington, has enabled the inclusion of the restoration extension in every piece of legislation along the way, in each key committee’s version as well as each chamber’s merged bill.  We will continue to work to ensure that the final Medicare provisions sent to the President, regardless of the legislative vehicle, provide the maximum reimbursement relief for practicing psychologists.  Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Jeff Cook

Director, Field and State Operations

APA Practice Organization

750 First Street, NE

Washington, DC  20002

(202) 336-5875 (Office)

(202) 336-5797 (Fax)

jcook@apa.org (Email)

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

CONFERENCES: APA Division 45

From Keith Cooke, kcooke@apa.org:

THE INNAUGURAL APA DIVISION 45 CONFERENCE

The Society for the Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues (APA Division 45) will be hosting its first-ever conference outside of the APA convention on June 17-19, 2010.  The conference will be held on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. There will also be a pre-conference professional development opportunity for ethnic minority graduate students and early career professionals on Thursday, June 17, 2010.

The goals of this meeting are to provide a forum for:

1)     The presentation of state-of-the-art research related to the psychological condition of individuals from all ethnic minority groups within the United States;

2)     The professional development of ethnic minority researchers (students and professionals);

3)     Greater networking and collaboration among researchers conducting research on ethnic minority issues across various fields of psychology.

There will be an opportunity to present posters, symposia, panel discussions and workshops.  The Call for Proposals ends on February 15, 2010 at 11:59 EST. Early registration ends on May 30, 2010 at 11:59 EST. You must register in Ann Arbor after that date at onsite rates. For more information and to register for the conference go to the conference website (http://www.div45conference.com).

INFO: Action Alert! Help Block SGR Medicare Cuts!

Colleagues,

PLEASE take a couple of minutes and respond to the below Urgent Action
Alert.

Monday, November 16, 2009

STUDENTS: Ph.D. Program in Applied Developmental Science at Colorado State University

The Department of Human Development and Family Studies at Colorado State University announces a new Ph.D. Program in Applied Developmental Science (ADS). Interested students are invited to submit their applications to the program by January 15, 2010. Additional information can be found at http://www.hdfs.cahs.colostate.edu/grad/.

The Graduate Program in Applied Developmental Science (ADS) at Colorado State University offers graduate training in research and its application to issues that affect the quality of life of individuals, families, and communities. Human Development and Family Studies offers an interdisciplinary approach to development across the lifespan leading to the Ph.D. degree in ADS.

Faculty Research Areas
The ADS program is served by 14 full-time graduate faculty in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies plus 9 affiliate faculty. The ADS faculty's research interests and expertise encompass the entire lifespan and embrace a range of interests at the intersection of basic and applied research. Students are asked to identify potential faculty mentors as part of the application process.

• Risk, Resilience, and Developmental Psychopathology

Faculty pursue research programs related to why at-risk individuals have favorable outcomes, processes related to developmental psychopathology and atypical development, the nature of risktaking behaviors, and developmental disabilities.

• Treatment, Intervention, and Prevention Science

Most faculty in the ADS program are concerned with translational research: How to devise effective intervention and treatment strategies that are based on empirical evidence and careful evaluations. Such endeavors encompass, for example, school-based programs, substance abuse prevention for youth and treatment for young adults, programs to prevent frailty in old age, Extension programs, interventions that promote work/family balance, and evaluations of family therapy. Policy analysis also is a key part of prevention science.

• Emotion, Regulation, and Relational Processes

Socioemotional processes are a focus of ADS faculty research (e.g., emotional development; attachment) as are various aspects of regulation including self regulation and emotion regulation. Such processes are essential to school readiness and success, which is a common thread of several faculty research programs. Relational processes include a focus on parenting, family caregiving, and family/school linkages.

• Adult Development and Aging

Several faculty focus their research on emerging adulthood and development in midlife and the later part of the lifespan, as well as intergenerational family relationships. Developmental processes include healthy aging, awareness of age-related change, wisdom, and self-regulation changes across the adult years.

• Cultural Context and Diversity

Consistent with HDFS's basis in ecological theory, many faculty conduct research on cultural influences, on gender and power dynamics in families, and on other forms of diversity. Also, multiple graduate courses are infused with content related to culture, ethnicity, and gender. Several journal articles describe our infusion model, and the department has been honored with awards for our innovations related to diversity.

• Focus on Methodological Rigor

ADS faculty members have expertise in the application of sophisticated research methods and analytical techniques to basic research questions (e.g., dynamic systems methods, multilevel modeling, structural equation modeling, daily diary methods, qualitative methods) as well as to real-world problems of program evaluation. Such expertise is invaluable as students learn to conduct research on complex social problems.

Core Graduate Faculty in HDFS
Karen Caplovitz Barrett, PhD
Emotion regulation & its development; social emotions; family/cultural influences on emotions and early socioemotional development
Zeynep Biringen, PhD
Emotional availability & attachment; early child care; military families & separation experiences; effects of divorce; prevention/intervention
Manfred Diehl, PhD
Self-concept development across the adult lifespan; self- and emotion regulation in adulthood; awareness of age-related change in adulthood
Robert Fetsch, PhD
Stress & coping in farm/ranch families; anger management; quality of life enhancement; program evaluation
Deborah J. Fidler, PhD
Intellectual and developmental disability; atypical development; early intervention
Christine A. Fruhauf, PhD
Grandparent-grandchild relationships; family caregiving for older adults; quality of life for adults with Alzheimer's disease; implications of service learning for gerontological education
Shelley Haddock, PhD
Gender and power dynamics in couples and families; LGBT individuals, couples, and families; Internal Family Systems Therapy
Thao Le, PhD, MPH
Immigrant youth delinquency; wisdom & self-transcendence; youth & adult development cross-culturally
Erika Lunkenheimer, PhD
Parent-child interaction; developmental psychopathology; child self-regulation, socioemotional development & school readiness; dynamic systems methodology; family intervention science
David MacPhee, PhD
Competent v. abusive parenting; early prevention & family support programs; risk & resilience; culture and parenting
Jenn Matheson, PhD
Addictions & substance abuse; campus drug court treatment; gender and power; qualitative methods
Francisco Palermo, PhD
Early literacy development & the acquisition of English as a second language; social relationships; school readiness; ethnic minority populations
Lise M. Youngblade, PhD
Child & adolescent health; development in context; health-care access and policy for vulnerable youth and families; program evaluation; adolescent risk-taking & health-promoting behavior
Toni Zimmerman, PhD
Diversity education for youth; work & family issues; analysis of cultural messages that promote or resist stereotypes

Affiliate Graduate Faculty
Patricia Aloise-Young, PhD (Psychology)
Adolescent cigarette smoking; self-presentation
Donna Boudreau, PhD (HDFS)
Speech and language development
Silvia Canetto, PhD (Psychology)
Gender, culture, and science; human diversity & aging; suicidal behaviors
Patricia Davies, PhD (Occupational Therapy)
Relation of brain activity to sensory and cognitive functional performance
William J. Gavin, PhD (Occupational Therapy)
Speech and language development; electroencephalography (EEG) and event-related potentials (ERPs) measures of sensory processing & cognitive development
Kim Henry, PhD (Psychology)
School disengagement; adolescent development; developmental psychopathology; longitudinal & multivariate methodology
George Morgan, PhD (Education)
Mastery motivation; evaluation of research; research methods
David Most, PhD (Education)
Research methods; developmental disabilities
Randy Swaim, PhD (Psychology)
Cross-cultural substance use; quantitative methodology

FORT COLLINS: HIGH QUALITY OF LIFE
Colorado State University is located in Fort Collins, an hour's drive north of Denver. At the foot of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins has excellent schools, outstanding recreational opportunities (access to some of the best skiing in the world, hundreds of miles of biking trails, fishing, river kayaking, hiking, rock climbing, and camping), and a sunny climate. With a population of 135,000, the city has been listed by several national publications as one of the best places to live in the United States.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Graduate Admissions
Applied Developmental Science
Dept. of Human Development & Family Studies
Gifford 1570
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

ADSPHD@cahs.colostate.edu<mailto:ADSPHD@cahs.colostate.edu>

http://www.hdfs.cahs.colostate.edu/grad/

APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 15

Thursday, November 12, 2009

INFO: Death of Dr. Gene Cohen

I realize that many of you have already received this information from other sources, and apologize for the cross-posting.  However, I wish to make sure that Division 20 members have received word of the recent death of Dr. Gene Cohen, a true pioneer and leader in the mental health and aging field.

Gene Cohen was the geriatric psychiatrist who basically built the mental health and aging research program at NIMH, beginning in 1974 or 1975 as the director of what first was called the Center for Studies of the Mental Health of the Aging, and today is represented by the NIMH Geriatrics Research Branch.  He recruited to NIMH such gerontologists as Barry Lebowitz and Nancy Miller, and (somewhat later) myself.  In 1988, he moved to NIA to become Deputy Director, where from 1991-1993 he served as the Acting Director.  He was President of GSA in 1996-1997, and as you can read in various obituaries and tributes, in addition to his intellectual contributions has been a pioneer and moving force in the formation and building up of many other organizational structures and publication outlets that have become critical components in the mental health and aging field.

The GSA website has posted an obituary written by his son, Alex Cohen, at:  http://www.geron.org/cohenobituary.pdf

You can access the obituary in the Washington Post at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111018634.html?sub=AR

The American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry has posted a tribute at:  http://www.aagponline.org/news/pressreleases.asp?viewfull=138

There is a biographical sketch on the website of the Center for Aging, Health and Humanities, which he headed at George Washington University Medical Center:  http://www.gwumc.edu/cahh/about/cohen.htm

--gn

George Niederehe, PhD

Chief, Geriatrics Research Branch

National Institute of Mental Health

Monday, November 09, 2009

STUDENTS: Oregon State University

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to ask your assistance in identifying and encouraging applicants for the Ph.D. program in Human Development and Family Studies at Oregon State University. Please forward this email to those in your program that might be interested in pursuing their education with Oregon State University!

HUMAN DEVELOPMENT FAMILY SCIENCES PHD PROGRAM

Our program focuses on optimal development across the life span for individuals and families in a changing sociohistorical context. Our research is interdisciplinary with three signature themes:

1. Transitions across the life course

2. Risk and resilience across the life span

3. Developmental and family research methods.

We have research emphases in child development, adult development and aging, families, rural communities, and cross-national comparisons. Graduate students will have the opportunity to collaborate on research across these three signature areas.

PROGRAM TRAINING

Our program is an interdisciplinary program that prepares students for careers that focus on research and teaching.

We offer innovative training in theory, empirical research, and methods for studying individuals, families, and communities. Our faculty and graduate students work together to identify common areas of interest and pursue shared intellectual goals in the signature areas noted above.

FINANCIAL INFORMATION

· Most students are funded through graduate research and teaching assistantships

· Typically these assistantships include a monthly living stipend and tuition remission

· Our students who have assistantships also receive health insurance through the Graduate Student Union

FACULTY RESEARCH INTERESTS

Alan C. Acock, Professor and Barbara Knudson Endowed Chair in Family Policy: Intergenerational relations, family structure, fathering, at risk families, quantitative methods.

Carolyn M. Aldwin, Professor: Psychosocial factors and health, stress, coping, and stress-related growth, long term effects of combat and childhood stress, and optimal aging.

Sally Bowman, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist: Families in later life, rural families in poverty, program evaluation.

Marc Braverman, Associate Dean and Extension FCD Program Leader: Applied research methods and program evaluation, community programming, health promotion for youth.

Deborah Coehlo, Assistant Professor: Caregiving across the lifespan, care of children with special needs and their families, mental health across the life span, and multimedia strategies for enhancing education.

Lizbeth Ann Gray, Associate Professor and Associate Dean: Family, sexuality, social change, women’s issues, human services, and international context.

Karen Hooker, Professor and Director, Center for Healthy Aging Research: Personality and aging, transitions and self development, social relationships in adulthood, intraindividual variability and burst measurement designs.

Michael R. Levenson, Associate Professor: Exceptional adult development with a special emphasis on transformational change, developmental theory, psychological assessment, personality disorders, and consciousness studies.

Katherine A. MacTavish, Associate Professor: Rural families and communities, family management strategies and child/youth development in risky rural contexts, rural poverty and community development.

Megan McClelland, Associate Professor: Early social and cognitive development, school readiness, links between self-regulation and school success, risk and resilience in young children.

Patricia Moran, Associate Professor: End of life issues, family policy, and at-risk youth.

Leslie Richards, Assistant Professor: Rural poverty, relationships, family literacy, program evaluation.

Sharon Rosenkoetter, Associate Professor: Early childhood leadership, early childhood transitions, policy development, development of literacy skills in typically and atypically developing young children.

Richard A. Settersten, Jr., Professor: The life course; social policy; transition to adulthood; aging; fatherhood; civic engagement.

Samuel Vuchinich, Associate Professor: Family interaction and social development, adolescence, quantitative methods, family conflict and problem solving.

Alexis J. Walker, Professor, Department Chair, and Joanne L. Petersen Chair in Gerontology and Family Studies: Gender and family relationships, inter- and intra-generational relationships, families in middle and later life.

OSU FACTS

Oregon State University is a comprehensive public research university and a member of the Oregon University System. A land, sea, space, and sun grant institution, we have programs and faculty located in every county of the state. OSU was recently given the designation of Very High Research Activity by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It was the only Oregon institution to receive the top designation, and one of only 63 public institutions nationwide. OSU views the state of Oregon as its campus, and works in partnership with Oregon community colleges and other state system institutions to provide access to educational programs.

LOCATION

Oregon State University may not be in the biggest city, but it's being recognized as one of the top ten college towns in the country. Oregon State University is home to approximately 20,300 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, representing about 90 countries, every state in the nation and every county in the state of Oregon. OSU is located in Corvallis, Oregon, a community of just over 50,000 people situated in the Willamette Valley between Portland and Eugene. Ocean beaches, pristine mountain lakes, rushing rivers, old-growth forests, the sunny high desert, the rugged Cascade and Coast Ranges, and the urban amenities of the Portland metropolitan area are all within a 100-mile drive of Corvallis.

CONTACT US!

We welcome inquiries from prospective applicants. For more information on our doctoral program, please write to maya.burton@oregonstate.edu, phone (541) 737-4765, or visit our website at: http://www.hhs.oregonstate.edu/hdfs/home

Karen Hooker, Ph.D.

Director, Center for Healthy Aging Research

Professor, Human Development and Family Sciences

321 Milam Hall

Oregon State University

Corvallis, OR 97331

541.737.4336/1076 (fax)

hookerk@oregonstate.edu

http://www.hhs.oregonstate.edu/healthyaging

Karen Hooker, Ph.D.

Director, Center for Healthy Aging Research

Professor, Human Development and Family Sciences

321 Milam Hall

Oregon State University

Corvallis, OR 97331

541.737.4336/1076 (fax)

hookerk@oregonstate.edu

http://www.hhs.oregonstate.edu/healthyaging

CONFERENCES: National summit on interpersonal violence and abuse across lifespan--

[] CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS Due December 1, 2009 National Summit on Interpersonal Violence and Abuse Across the Lifespan: Forging a Shared Agenda February 24-26, 2010 Dallas, Texas Sheraton Dallas Hotel Dear Division 20 Colleagues:

If you are interested in representing the Division at this event please send me a brief cover letter and cv. Division 20 will cover your travel (also lodging , meals) expenses.

best,

Peter Lichtenberg, Ph.D., ABPP Division 20 President p.lichtenberg@wayne.edu

The Summit Includes: Identifying gaps and issues facing the field of interpersonal violence prevention Integrating practice, research, and policy to affect public awareness, training/mentoring, community action/capacity building Moving from dialogue to action Multidisciplinary and multicultural strategies Cost-effective conference with state-of-the-science information Emphasizing networking and collaboration 19 hours of CEs provided for most professions (co-sponsored by the IVAT)

National Summit Thematic Threads – Themes for Submissions

The summit will be organized around thematic threads. These threads represent different aspects of interpersonal violence. Plenary speakers and symposia will represent an interweaving of two or more of these threads. The overall aim is fostering a more integrative perspective on the critical issues to address in eliminating interpersonal violence. Submissions can focus on one or more of the threads below.

1) Intimate partner violence 2) Child maltreatment 3) Youth violence 4) Community violence 5) Sexual assault 6) Children exposed to violence 7) Substance abuse 8) Diversity/cross cutting issues 9) Elder abuse and neglect

[]

The Summit is an event of the The National Partnership to End Interpersonal Violence Across the Lifespan, an overarching group of organizations, agencies, coalitions and groups that embrace a national, multi-disciplinary and multicultural commitment to violence prevention across the lifespan.

For more information and/or to become a partner in the NPEIV please contact one of the co-chairs:

Jacquelyn White, Ph.D., <mailto:jwwhite@uncg.edu>jwwhite@uncg.edu Robert Geffner, Ph.D., bgeffner@pacbell.net Alan Kazdin, Ph.D., <mailto:alan.kazdin@yale.edu>alan.kazdin@yale.edu

For Information about NPEIV, the Summit, or the Call for Submissions: www.npeiv.org

National Partnership to End Interpersonal Violence Across the Lifespan (NPEIV) Collaborators

o Academy of Violence and Abuse o Alliant International University o American College of Emergency Physicians Research Forum o American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children o American Psychological Association o Public Interest Directorate o Divisions for Social Justice o Division 9 Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues o Division 17 Counseling Psychology o Division 29 Psychotherapy o Division 35 Society for the Psychology of Women o Division 37 Society for Child and Family Policy Practice o Division 39 Division of Psychoanalysis o Division 42 Psychologists in Independent Practice o Division 43 Society for Family Psychology o Division 44 Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Issues o Division 45 Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues o Division 46 Media Psychology o Division 48 Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict and Violence o Division 50 Addictions o Division 51 Society for the Psychological Study of Men and Masculinity o Division 56 Trauma Psychology o California Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CALCASA) o Center for Child and Family Policy, Duke University o Center for Research on Violence Against Women, University of Kentucky o Centers for Disease Control, Division of Violence Prevention o Children's Institute Inc. o Children Uniting Nations o Coalition Against Elder Abuse o Coalition for Children's Mental Health o Consumer Survivor Movement o Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health & TBI o Department of Defense, Sexual Assault Prevention & Response o Department of Psychology and the Women's & Gender Studies Program at the University of South Carolina o Domestic Abuse Project o Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire o Family Services, University of Northern Iowa o Family Violence & Sexual Assault Institute o Family Violence Institute, Northern Illinois University o Family Violence Prevention Fund o HHS Office of Research on Women's Health o HHS Office of Women's Health o Institute on Domestic Violence in the African American Community o Institute on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (IDVSA) Center for Social Work Research School of Social Work, The University of Texas at Austin o Institute on Violence, Abuse and Trauma at Alliant International University o Inter-agency Coalition on Child Abuse (ICAN) o International Center for Alcohol Policies o The International Forensic Association of Nurses o International Network for Prevention of Elder Abuse; o International Society for Study of Trauma & Dissociation o International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies o John D. Dingell VA Medical Center o Johns Hopkins School of Nursing and Public Health o Journal of Orthopsychiatry o Leadership Council on Child Abuse & Interpersonal Violence o Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong o National Alliance to Eliminate Domestic Violence o National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse, American Prosecutors Research Institute o National Center for Victims of Crime and Stalking Resource Center o National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma, & Mental Health o National Child Fatality Review Center o National Child Protection Training Center o National Child Traumatic Stress Network o National Coalition Against Domestic Violence o National Committee for Prevention of Elder Abuse o National Compadres Network o National Institute for Child Health and Human Development o National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) o National Latino Alliance to Eliminate Domestic Violence o National Network to End Domestic Violence o National Sexual Violence Resource Center o New York NGO Committee on Aging o PAVE (Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment): Sexual Assault Awareness o Public Health Department., University of Arizona o Race Matters Consortium o The Refugee and Immigrant Coalition Against Domestic Violence Women o Robert Wood Johnson Foundation o School of Social Work, Columbia University o Society for the Advancement of Violence & Injury Research o Southern Indian Health Council o Southern Methodist University Family Research Center o State & Territorial Injury Prevention Directors Association o Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) o TAPESTRI: The Refugee and Immigrant Coalition Against Domestic Violence o Texas Association Against Sexual Assault and Interpersonal Violence Prevention Collaborative o Texas Coalition Against Family Violence o United Way - MN o Veteran's Administration o Waitt Institute for Violence Prevention

For more information, please contact Kori Ryan, M.S., Special Projects Coordinator, Institute on Violence, Abuse and Trauma (IVAT) at Alliant International University, San Diego, CA. IVAT is the fiscal agent for the NPEIV. Email: ivatsp@alliant.edu (858) 527-1860 x 4310

Peter A. Lichtenberg, Ph.D., ABPP Director, Institute of Gerontology Director, Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute Professor of Psychology, Psychiatry and PM&R 87 E. Ferry Street Detroit, MI 48202 313-577-2297 (phone) 313-875-0127 (fax)

INFO: 2010 United Nations Commission on the Status of Women

From Donald Knight, dknight@apa.org:

Friday, November 06, 2009

JOBS: University of South Florida, School of Aging Studies

JOBS: University of South Florida, School of Aging Studies

Post-doctoral Scholar in Cognition & Sensory-Perceptual Processing in Aging

This post-doctoral scholar will be engaged in a research and education

plan with faculty mentors with expertise in cognitive aging and auditory

aging, and their interaction. The scholar will work on innovative research

projects focused on changes in brain and behavior as a function of novel

interventions for auditory and cognitive decline in aging. Faculty members

in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders and the

School of Aging Studies are funded through NIH and other external funding

sources. Both departments have achieved recognition by the Chronicle of

Higher Education as being among the Top 10 in their respective disciplines

for faculty productivity.

Minimum Qualifications: PhD in Aging, Communication Sciences & Disorders, Hearing Science, Psychology, or related field

Preferred Qualifications: Expertise in Cognitive or Sensory-Perceptual Intervention or Electrophysiological Assessment

Salary Range: $42,000-$45,000 (annual)

Please contact Jerri Edwards, Ph.D. at (813) 974 – 5592 or Jennifer Lister, Ph.D. at jlister@cas.usf.edu

***************************

Jerri D. Edwards, Ph.D.