Wednesday, June 30, 2010

INFO: Study of Dementia in Swedish Twins data archive

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We are pleased to announce the availability of a data archive from the Study of Dementia in Swedish Twins located at the University of Michigan's National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging. The archived data and documentation can be found at http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR25963. The archiving was supported by NIA Grant No. R03 AG031262.

Margaret Gatz, Ph.D.
University of Southern California
Department of Psychology
Los Angeles CA 90089-1061
gatz@usc.edu

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

INFO: 2010 CECP Call for Nominations

From Keith Cooke, kcooke@APA.ORG:

2010 Call for Nominations

COMMITTEE ON EARLY CAREER PSYCHOLOGISTS

The Committee on Early Career Psychologists (CECP) is seeking nominations for two representatives to serve a three-year term
(2011-2013):

Education and Training Representative:

Represents ECP interests to the Board of Educational Affairs and the Education Directorate within APA.  This representative also develops and supports projects within APA to promote the needs of ECPs in psychological education and training.  In addition to mandatory committee meetings, this representative is required to attend and actively participate in the annual Education Leadership Conference.  Applicants for the education and training slate should have current work experience as an educator, experience working with and the ability to represent the interests of ECPs to the education community in the field, experience working with committees and other groups in promoting education and training of students, and experience in initiating and implement projects.

State, Provincial, and Territorial Psychological Associations (SPTA) Representative:

Promotes ECP interests and leadership experiences in State, Provincial, and Territorial Associations (SPTAs), and represents the interests of SPTAs related to ECPs within APA.  This position co-directs a network of ECP representatives from SPTA and APA Divisions, and facilitates activities, projects and programs that foster joint membership and participation between the ECP memberships of APA and SPTAs. In addition, this individual will be required to attend the State Leadership Conference in March. Applicants for the SPTA Slate will be evaluated on leadership experiences within SPTA governance and program activities, as well as a general history of leadership and governance work.

Candidates must be an APA member within seven years’ receipt of their doctorate degree on January 1, 2011.

In addition, you must be able to attend mandatory committee meetings; one in the spring, and two in the fall.  Some committee members may be asked to attend additional meetings depending on their position.  Meeting expenses are reimbursed by APA.

Although not reimbursed, committee members are highly encouraged to attend and participate in Early Career programming annually at the APA Convention. The committee works extensively through listserv and email. Applicants should expect to spend a minimum of 5 hours per week engaged in committee activities.

All candidates should include:

1. Statement of Interest from the Nominee

2. Current Curriculum Vitae

3. One Letter of Recommendation

Nomination materials must be received by October 1, 2010.  Applicants will be notified in mid-December.

Send Nominations via Email, Mail, or Fax to:      Kraig Ronald Scott

American Psychological Association
750 First Street, NE
Washington
, DC 20002

Fax: (202) 216-7628
Email: kscott@apa.org

CECP seeks to represent the interests and concerns of early career psychologists throughout APA.  For more information about the committee and other early career resources, please visit the APA early career website at www.apa.org/earlycareer.

If you have any questions, please contact the current Chair, Josephine Minardo, PsyD at josie1doc@OPTONLINE.NET

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

CONFERENCES: Div. 20 Student/Early Professional Hour at APA

Dear Colleagues,

Please mark your APA schedule for the Division 20 Conversation Hour on Friday, August 13.  Drs.  Brian Yochim, Ann Pearman, and Peter Lichtenberg will discuss "The Role of Division 20 in Your Early Career" with graduate students and early career psychologists  (Friday, 5-5:50pm in the San Diego Convention Center, Room 11A).

Importantly, we ask that you please forward this announcement to any students and junior investigators you know who may be attending APA and who might benefit from this year's 'Student Hour' talks.

Thanks in advance for your help in spreading the word!

Best,

Andrew
Div. 20 Graduate Student Rep.

********
Andrew R. Bender, M.A.
Graduate Research Assistant
Cognitive Neuroscience of Aging Lab
Department of Psychology
Institute of Gerontology
Wayne State University
Detroit, Michigan 48202
lab 313-871-0710
fax 313-875-0127

Monday, June 28, 2010

AWARDS -- reviewers needed

Division 20 awards committee is seeking reviewers for its student awards program. If you're interested in reviewing 3 or 4 proposals, please send an email with your contact information to D20AwardStu@gmail.com and let us know. We'll be sending out materials via email for review early in July and would like your assistance by mid-July.

Thanks,
Ron Spiro & Jacqui Smith
Co-Chairs

Thursday, June 24, 2010

INFO: [Fwd: House to Vote on SGR Today]

We're getting closer to resolving this -- at least until November.
Thanks all that participated in the advocacy efforts!
Merla

--
Dr. M. Arnold, PhD, RN
Licensed Psychologist - Registered Nurse

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom.
It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken
and the wisest might err." Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

"It is better to know the patient who has the disease than it is to know the disease which the patient has."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

JOBS: Survey Research Center, University of Michigan

The Survey Research Center within the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan has an opening in the Research Professor ranks for a senior social scientist with a research specialization in aging.  A strong record of research on the influence of social networks and contextual effects on health among the elderly is particularly desirable.  Appointment would be at the Research Associate Professor or Research Professor level depending on experience and qualifications.  The Survey Research Center is home to several large research projects related to health and aging including Americans’ Changing Lives, the Health and Retirement Study and the Panel Study of Income Dynamics.   Collaboration with one or more of these projects is possible, and a track record of an independent program of externally-funded research is highly desirable.  Candidates will be evaluated on scholarly achievement, as well as on teaching, mentorship, and success at obtaining research funding. Disciplinary background could be in sociology, social psychology, epidemiology, psychology, public health, or policy.  Requires knowledge of survey methods, quantitative data analysis techniques, and substantive knowledge of the aging literature and field. Excellent written communication skills are necessary, as well as an ability to work collaboratively and constructively as a member of a research team.  Joint appointment with another department, institute, or school may be possible if desired. Applicants must have a doctoral degree.  Applicants should submit a letter describing their scholarly activities, funded research programs and plans, and interests within SRC.  Please include a curriculum vitae, names of (but not letters from) references, and one or two recent publications.  Send applications, nominations and inquiries electronically to SRCSearch@isr.umich.eduReference position #50355.  Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The University of Michigan is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.  Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.

INFO: Action Alert! House Delays Action on SGR, CMS Provides Information

Please read this latest update below. If you have not done so already, please call and urge your Representative to immediately halt the SGR cut. Instructions below.
Merla
--  Dr. M. Arnold, PhD, RN Licensed Psychologist - Registered Nurse Psychological Services, Behavioral Health  Counseling, Consultation and Education Focused on the Needs of Older Adults Western Suffolk/Eastern Nassau Counties, LI, NY Long Term Care Settings (631) 271-9863  "It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom.  It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken  and the wisest might err." Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)  “It is better to know the patient who has the disease than it is to know the disease which the patient has.”  Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)  +++++++++++++++++++++++  X   Urgent  X   Action Required  APA Practice Organization Action Alert  Date:   June 21, 2010  To:     SPTA and Division Federal Advocacy Coordinators; APAGS Coordinators  From:   Marilyn Richmond, J.D., Assistant Executive Director for Government Relations, American Psychological Association Practice Organization  Cc:     Katherine Nordal, Ph.D., Executive Director for Professional Practice; SPTA Executive Directors; SPTA Directors of Professional	Affairs; CAPP   Re:     House Delays Action on SGR, CMS Provides Information   We recently reported that the Senate had passed a stand-alone measure to postpone the 21.3% Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) cut retroactive to June 1 and through November 30, 2010.  House leadership declined to take up the bill until the Senate considers jobs provisions that previously passed the House with the SGR fix as part of the controversial tax extenders package.  With the two chambers disagreeing on the path forward, though both promising to halt the cut, Congressional inaction is expected to further delay a resolution to this critical issue for patients and providers.     As previously reported, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) instructed Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) to begin processing claims at lower rates on June 18.  We have since learned from the American Medical Association that affected payments are being processed on a rolling, first-in/first-out basis.  Once retroactive legislation is signed into law, reduced payments will be automatically adjusted so that psychologists and other providers will not have to resubmit claims in order to recoup fees lost due to the SGR cut.     We will continue to keep up the pressure on Capitol Hill and keep you updated on further legislative and regulatory developments.  If you have not already, please call and urge your Representative to immediately halt the SGR cut.     Action:   Call and urge your Representative to immediately halt the SGR cut   Call the Capitol Hill Switchboard at (202) 225-3121 and ask for your Representative's office.  If you do not know who your Representative is, you can give the operator your ZIP code or find out using our Legislative Action Center <http://capwiz.com/apapractice/officials/congress/?lvl=C>  at http://capwiz.com/apapractice/officials/congress/?lvl=C <http://capwiz.com/apapractice/officials/congress/?lvl=C> .     Message:   I am calling as a constituent and psychologist to urge you to immediately halt the 21.3% Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate cut retroactive to June 1 and work to permanently replace the flawed SGR formula as soon as possible.  This cut will have severe consequences for patient access to quality mental health care and must be addressed immediately.  Thank you for your time and consideration.    Jeff Cook, J.D. Director of Field & State Operations American Psychological Association Practice Organization 750 First Street, NE Washington, DC  20002 (202) 336-5875 (Office) (202) 336-5797 (Fax) jcook@apa.org (Email)

Friday, June 18, 2010

INFO: Action Alert: Congress Fails to Halt SGR Cut in Time

PLEASE Call Your Representative. The outcome can have very Serious consequences for geropsychology.
Merla

 X   Urgent

 X   Action

       Required

       For Your

       Information

APA Practice

Organization

Action Alert

Date:               June 18, 2010

To:                  SPTA and Division Federal Advocacy Coordinators

APAGS Coordinators

From:              Marilyn Richmond, J.D., Assistant Executive Director for Government Relations

American Psychological Association Practice Organization

Cc:                  Katherine Nordal, Ph.D., Executive Director for Professional Practice

SPTA Executive Directors

SPTA Directors of Professional Affairs

CAPP

Re:                  Congress Fails to Halt SGR Cut in Time

Despite repeated promises by Congressional leaders to resolve the issue in time to avoid disruption to psychologists and other providers, today Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) began processing claims at lower rates as a result of the 21.3% Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) cut.

Over the past few days, the Senate has attempted to move forward with several versions of a controversial tax extender measure (HR 4213) that have included provisions to block the SGR cut.  The bill has been the subject of intense debate regarding the extent of deficit spending, which has caused Senators to work to further “trim” the packages to gain the needed 60 votes.

Finally, today the Senate passed by unanimous consent a fully offset stand-alone bill to postpone the cut retroactive to June 1 and through November 30, 2010.  The bill now heads to the House for consideration next week.

APAPO and practitioners across the country continue to explain to legislators that this is a tremendous burden to psychologists and their ability to provide services to Medicare beneficiaries.  In recent weeks, grassroots psychologists have sent more than 7,500 urgent messages to the Hill.  With the debate now shifting back to the House, please call and urge your Representative to immediately halt the SGR cut.

Action:

Call and urge your Representative

to immediately halt the SGR cut

Call the Capitol Hill Switchboard at (202) 225-3121 and ask for your Representative’s office.  If you do not know who your Representative is, you can give the operator your ZIP code or find out using our Legislative Action Center at http://capwiz.com/apapractice/officials/congress/?lvl=C.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fwd: [DIVOFFICERS] APA PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE ON IMMIGRATION

>Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:06:56 -0400
>Sender: APA Division Officers list <DIVOFFICERS@LISTS.APA.ORG>
>From: "Jordan, Sarah" <sjordan@APA.ORG>
>Subject: [DIVOFFICERS] APA PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE ON IMMIGRATION
>To: DIVOFFICERS@LISTS.APA.ORG
>
>APA PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE ON IMMIGRATION
>
>CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
>

>The American Psychological Association (APA) under the leadership of
>President-elect, Melba Vasquez, PhD, ABPP, is soliciting nominations
>for a Task Force on Immigration. The Association is interested in
>researchers, practitioners and educators who are knowledgeable about
>the numerous factors related to the experience of immigration, with
>particular attention to the effects of acculturation, prejudice,
>discrimination, and immigration policy on individuals, the immigrant
>community and the broader community. Candidates for the task force
>should be well-versed in the literature on the effects of
>immigration on individuals, families, and communities (as previously
>noted). The empirically-based conclusions and recommendations of
>this task force will be disseminated to inform the development of a
>broad range of immigration-related policy at various levels.
>Task Force members are required to attend one three-day meeting
>during 2010 to be held in Washington, DC, and possibly one three day
>meeting to be held in 2011 with meeting-related expenses reimbursed
>by APA. Between meetings, members will also communicate via
>conference call and email to accomplish the task force's work.
>
>Each candidate (self nominations are encouraged) is asked to submit
>(1) a letter indicating their willingness to serve and detailing
>their particular expertise on the issue, and (2) a current CV, no
>later than Wednesday, July 14, 2010. Although it is not required,
>candidates may wish to have letters (no more than three) supporting
>their nomination submitted. Materials should be sent to Efua Andoh,
>Children, Youth, and Families Office, via email,
><mailto:eandoh@apa.org>eandoh@apa.org or fax, (202) 336-6040.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Efua Andoh | Manager, CYF Programs
>Children, Youth, and Families Office
>Public Interest Directorate
><http://www.apa.org/>American Psychological Association
>750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242
>Tel: (202) 336-6045 | Fax: (202) 336-6040
>email: <mailto:eandoh@apa.org>eandoh@apa.org | www.apa.org/pi/families
>APA Logo
>

>P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Peter A. Lichtenberg, Ph.D., ABPP
Director, Institute of Gerontology
Director, Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute
Professor of Psychology
87 E. Ferry Street
Detroit, MI 48202
313-577-2297 (phone)
313-875-0127 (fax)

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

INFO: Running Psychologists

Lucinda Seares-Monica, an APA member and president of the Running
Psychologists has organized the Running Psychologists APA Ray's Race 5k
Run and Walk at the APA convention. The event is open to everyone at
APA. The race has always been an enjoyable event for everyone at the
convention. We are encouraging runners and walkers of all ages to
participate in our event. The race will be held in close to the
Convention Center and our hotels.
Anyone interested in submitting an application, please contact:
Lucinda Seares-Monica, Psy. D.
President, Running Psychologists
90 West Main St.
Freehold, NJ 07728
732-431-1869
psydmd@optonline.net

32nd Annual Running Psychologists APA Ray's Race 5k Run and Walk

Lucinda Seares-Monica, an APA member and president of the Running Psychologists has organized the Running Psychologists APA Ray's Race 5k Run and Walk at the APA convention.  The event is open to everyone at APA.  The race has always been an enjoyable event for everyone at the convention. We are encouraging runners and walkers of all ages to participate in our event.  The race will be held in close to the Convention Center and our hotels.

Anyone interested, please contact:

Lucinda Seares-Monica, Psy. D.

President, Running Psychologists

90 West Main St.

Freehold, NJ 07728

732-431-1869

psydmd@optonline.net
--  Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience Professor of Medicine Director of Center for Biobehavioral and Social Aspects      of Health Disparities Director of Developmental Psychology Program Fellow, Center for Study of Aging and Human Development  Department of Psychology and Neuroscience P.O. Box 90085 Duke University Durham, NC. 27708 Phone: 919-660-5769 Fax: 919-660-5726

Monday, June 14, 2010

FUNDING: Announcement Regarding Affordable Care Act Long-Term Care Grants

FYI for those who collaborate with Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs), State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) and Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs).

Deborah DiGilio| Director, Office on Aging Public Interest Directorate American Psychological Association 750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242

Tel: (202) 336-6135 | Fax: (202) 336-6040

email: ddigilio@apa.org | www.apa.org/pi/aging

Today HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced the availability of $60 million in Affordable Care Act grants to states and communities to help individuals and their caregivers better understand and navigate their health and long-term care options.

Through this opportunity, made possible by the Affordable Care Act, HHS’ Administration on Aging (AoA) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will work collaboratively to award funds for an integrated approach that focuses on the unique needs of seniors, disabled Americans and their caregivers as they seek health care and long-term care.

The purpose of this new grant program authorized by the Affordable Care Act is to create streamlined, coordinated statewide systems of information, counseling, and access that will help people find consumer-friendly answers as they seek to meet their health and long-term care needs.  AoA and CMS will administer the funding through separate announcements, but will coordinate implementation and monitoring through a single process.  AoA and CMS have provided grants to states for several years to develop person-centered systems of information, counseling and access to make it easier for individuals to learn about and access their health and long-term services and support options. This grant program through the Affordable Care Act strengthens and enhances the ability of states to truly integrate the medical and social services care models.

      Funds will be available to states, Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs), State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) and Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs).  Through the grant program, states and local aging and disability programs will receive funds to:

·        provide outreach and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries on their Medicare benefits including prevention;

·        use additional funds through a competitive process to provide Options Counseling on health and long-term care through ADRCs;

·        use additional funds through a competitive process to strengthen the ADRCs role in Money follows the Person program and support state Medicaid agencies as they transition individuals from nursing homes to community-based care; and

·        coordinate and continue to embed tested Care Transition models that integrate the medical and social service systems to help older individuals and those with disabilities remain in their own homes and communities after a hospital, rehabilitation or skilled nursing facility visit.

      The announcement combines funding opportunities from several provisions in the Affordable Care Act signed into law by President Obama on March 23, 2010, including the Role of Public Programs (Title II, Sections 2403 – Money Follows the Person and 2405 – Funding for Aging and Disability Resource Centers) and Improving the Quality and Efficiency of Health Care (Title III, Section 3306 - Funding for Outreach and Assistance for Low-Income Programs).

The deadline for applications is: Monday, July 30, 2010.  Grants will be awarded in September 2010.  For more information about this grant opportunity, please visit http://www.aoa.gov/AoARoot/Grants/Funding/index.aspx or www.grants.gov.

If you have any questions about this announcement, or other questions related to health reform implementation, please contact the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Legislation at HealthReform.asl@hhs.gov or 202-690-8297.  Also, for the latest information on HHS’ health reform implementation efforts, please visit www.HealthReform.gov.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

I saw your name in the list of beneficiaries!!!

Hello,

I am Mrs Marie Cogdell, I am a US citizen, 48 years Old. I reside here in NW Washington. My residential address is as follows. 320 First Street, NW Washington, District of Columbia 20534 USA. United States Of America, am thinking of relocating since I am now rich. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over $20,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail.

So I decided to travel down to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, And I was directed to meet Mr. Joseph Morris, who is the member of COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, and I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake.

He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment. Right now I am the most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of $1,500,000.00 Moreover, Mr. Joseph Morris, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your name as one of the beneficiaries, and your email address, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact Mr. Joseph Morris

You have to contact him directly on this information below.

LION COMPENSATION HOUSE
Name : Mr. Joseph Morris
Email: sirjosephmorris11@att.net
New Africa House (12th Floor), 31 Marina, Lagos Island
Mobile Number: +2348028166360

You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing.

The only money I paid after I met Mr. Joseph Morris was just $270 for the paper works, take note of that.

Once again stop contacting those people, I will advise you to contact Mr. Joseph Morris so that he can help you to Deliver your fund instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your transaction.

Thank You and Be Blessed.

Mrs. Marie Cogdell.
mariecogdell60@yahoo.com

Friday, June 11, 2010

INFO: [Fwd: Action Alert! SGR Cut Expected to Temporarily Affect Reimbursements]

It only takes a minute to respond and could have long lasting effect.
Please act and pass it on.
Merla

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

JOBS: Post-doctoral research scientist-Lehigh University

Dear colleagues,

Please excuse any multiple postings.  Below is an advertisement for a (post-doctoral) Research Scientist position at Lehigh University in the area of quantitative methods.   The primary responsibilities of this two-year, non tenure track position are (a) to provide consultation support for faculty and graduate student research across the six academic programs of the College (see http://www.lehigh.edu/education) as well as two research centers, and (b) to teach at least one graduate-level statistics course per semester.   Please forward this position announcement to any potentially interested colleagues or former students.

Thanks,

Grace Caskie
********************************************************************************* Research Scientist – Lehigh University
The College of Education at Lehigh University seeks to hire a Research Scientist, starting fall 2010, with specialization in quantitative methods. The primary responsibilities of this position are (a) to provide consultation support for faculty and graduate student research across the six academic programs of the College (see http://www.lehigh.edu/education) as well as two research centers, and (b) to teach at least one graduate-level statistics course per semester. This two-year position provides the opportunity to collaborate on research projects and grant proposals encompassing a wide variety of educational and psychological areas. A completed PhD in quantitative methods is strongly preferred. Applications must include a cover letter describing methodological and statistical training, areas of expertise, professional research interests and experiences, and teaching interests and experiences. To apply, please send the cover letter, curriculum vita, and three letters of recommendation to: Grace Caskie, Ph.D., Lehigh University, 111 Research Drive, Bethlehem, PA 18015, caskie@lehigh.edu. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
--  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Grace I. L. Caskie, Ph.D. Frank Hook Assistant Professor 111 Research Drive College of Education Lehigh University Bethlehem, PA 18015 610-758-6094

INFO: APA Division 20 Survey

My apologies to thoise of you who have received this email already.  If you have already completed the APA Division 20 survey, please feel free to delete this message.

1st Reminder: APA Division 20 Survey

Hello,

Please take 5-10 minutes to fill out the 2010 Division 20 Survey below. We are trying to learn more about our strengths and weaknesses as a division, and we really appreciate your help in completing this survey! The purpose of this survey is to better understand how Division 20 can meet the needs of current and potential members of the division. Please try to answer each question. Your responses are anonymous. if you have questions or concerns, please contact Joe Gaugler, Division 20 Membership Chair, at
gaug0015@umn.edu.

To fill out the Division 20 survey, please click on the link below or cut and paste into your web browser.  Thanks!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGItWVNOMHhhUkZZNzRKWW90aExKWEE6MA
_____________________

Joseph E. Gaugler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, McKnight Presidential Fellow
Center on Aging, School of Nursing
Coordinator of Research Initiatives, Center for Gerontological Nursing
University of Minnesota
6-153 Weaver-Densford Hall, 1331
308 Harvard Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN  55455
Phone: 612-626-2485
Cell Phone: 651-605-5611
Fax: 612-625-7180
Email: gaug0015@umn.edu
http://www.nursing.umn.edu/FacultyStaffandPreceptors/GauglerJoseph/home.html
_____________________

INFO: Please help Division 20 increase its membership for 2010!

Dear members of the APA Division 20 List-Serv,

We are coming close to the end of the APA membership year, and we are hoping to match or exceed our total membership from last year!  If you have not renewed your membership, please consider doing so or joining as a new member!  As a long-time member of the Division myself, membership has allowed me to enjoy the multitude of professional benefits of Division 20 including job opportunities, faculty development, research training, and networking contacts that will help me throughout my career.

Please visit the APA Division 20 membership page (http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/join.htm) and fill out an application to join as a new member or a renewed member.  The membership page also provides a wealth detail of why membership in Division 20 is such a great professional opportunity.

If you are a member, you will note on the APA Division 20 membership page that we have designed new brochures.  If you would like some brochures to post in your office or share with colleagues, please let me know and I would be happy to mail you some.  Please spread the word and encourage your colleagues to join!

If you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do to help facilitate your membership in APA Division 20, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Sincerely,

Joe Gaugler
Membership Chair
APA Division 20

_____________________

Joseph E. Gaugler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, McKnight Presidential Fellow
Center on Aging, School of Nursing
Coordinator of Research Initiatives, Center for Gerontological Nursing
University of Minnesota
6-153 Weaver-Densford Hall, 1331
308 Harvard Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN  55455
Phone: 612-626-2485
Cell Phone: 651-605-5611
Fax: 612-625-7180
Email: gaug0015@umn.edu
http://www.nursing.umn.edu/FacultyStaffandPreceptors/GauglerJoseph/home.html
_____________________

CONFERENCES: Division 20 Social Event at APA

The Division 20 Social Event at APA will take place on Friday evening (August 13) in the courtyard of the Casa Guadalajara Restaurant in Old Town San Diego beginning at 7:00pm.  If you are able to join us for a festive buffet dinner with your Division 20 friends and colleagues, please reserve your place at this event by July 15!  Please send your check ($33 per person) to either program co-chair:  Carol Manning, Department of Neurology, Box 800394, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, or Melissa M. Franks, Child Development and Family Studies, Purdue University, 1200 W. State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907.

Also, please mark your APA schedule for the Division 20 Conversation Hour on Friday, August 13.  Drs.  Brian Yochim, Ann Pearman, and Peter Lichtenberg will discuss “The Role of Division 20 in Your Early Career” with graduate students and early career psychologists  (Friday, 5-5:50pm in the San Diego Convention Center, Room 11A).

Melissa M. Franks, PhD

Department of Child Development and Family Studies

Purdue University

1200 W. State St.

West Lafayette, IN 47907

(765)494-2942

Friday, June 04, 2010

JOBS: 3 Tenure Track Positions, Dept. of Human Development, Cornell University

Dear Colleagues,

Please forward the job postings below for tenure track positions in the Dept. of Human Development at Cornell University to interested candidates.

Thank you,

ado

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assistant Professor - Psychology-12525

Description

The Department of Human Development, in the College of Human Ecology at Cornell University, seeks applicants for two tenure-track assistant professorships in any area to begin July 1, 2011.  The department  has particularly strong emphasis that cut across six content domains:  Aging and Health; Cognitive Development; Group Disparities in Development;  Developmental Behavioral Neuroscience; Law, Psychology and Human Development; Social and Personality Development.

Responsibilities include teaching three courses per year (one large undergraduate course, one small undergraduate course, and one graduate seminar), supervising student research, and maintaining an externally-funded program of empirical research.

For consideration please send vita, statement of research and teaching interests, three representative publications, and three letters of reference to:

Office of the Chair

Department of Human Development

Martha Van Rensselaer Hall

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY 14853

Review of applications will begin October 1, 2010; applications are welcomed until the position is filled.

Qualifications

Cornell University, located in Ithaca, New York, is an inclusive, dynamic, and innovative Ivy League university and New York's land-grant institution. Its staff, faculty, and students impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas and best practices to further the university's mission of teaching, research, and outreach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Psychology or Behavioral Neuroscience-12541

Description

The Department of Human Development at the College of Human Ecology, Cornell University, (http://www.human.cornell.edu/hd/) seeks applicants for a tenure-track position (any rank and area) in developmental behavioral neuroscience to begin July 2011. The Department is developing a training program in behavioral neuroscience, and currently affective and social areas of neuroscience are represented, and interests in experiential effects on human neurobiological systems and in decision making are also represented. For the current position, expertise in Psychophysiology/EEG and/or genetic polymorphisms are of special interest, because Cornell has new facilities that fully support researchers in genotyping, and the Department has a state-of-the-art Psychophysiology/EEG laboratory. An MRI scanner will be in place in the Department by 2012.

Responsibilities include teaching three courses per year (one large undergraduate course, one small undergraduate course, and one graduate seminar), supervising student research, and maintaining an externally-funded program of empirical research.

To Apply:  Send CV, statement of research and teaching interests, representative publications, and three letters of reference to Search in Human Behavioral Neuroscience, Department of Human Development, MVR Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853. Review of applications will begin in the fall, 2010, and continue until the position is filled.

Qualifications

Cornell University, located in Ithaca, New York, is an inclusive, dynamic, and innovative Ivy League university and New York's land-grant institution. Its staff, faculty, and students impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas and best practices to further the university's mission of teaching, research, and outreach.

Anthony D. Ong, Ph.D., Assistant Professor

G77 Martha Van Rensselaer Hall, Department of Human Development

College of Human Ecology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-4401

Phone: (Office): 607-255-9993; (Lab): 607-255-8713; (Fax): 607-255-9856

Email: ado4@cornell.edu; Web: www.lifespan-resilience.human.cornell.edu

Thursday, June 03, 2010

JOBS: Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Richmond

Hi Lise,

Will you please post the following ad?

Thanks,
Jane

Jane M. Berry
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA 23173

jberry@richmond.edu
804.289.8130

--------------------

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN COGNITIVE/SOCIAL-COGNITIVE AGING

The University of Richmond has an opening for a two-year postdoctoral
fellowship in cognitive/social-cognitive aging starting August, 2010. The
fellowship is designed to enhance candidate¹s scholarship and provide
teaching experience for a career in academia. Qualifications include the
Ph.D. in psychology or related area by August, 2010; research background in
aging (cognitive/social-cognitive preferred); substantive knowledge and
expertise in quantitative methods; strong analytic writing skills; lab
management and coordination experience. The successful candidate will work
independently and collaboratively on research with Dr. Jane Berry, Associate
Professor of Psychology, and will teach an undergraduate course in research
design and statistics in Fall 2010. Substantive area in
cognitive/social-cognitive aging open but prefer background/training in
memory, metacognition, self-efficacy, self-awareness, and/or
self-regulation. Send inquiries to jberry@richmond.edu. Mail application
materials, including vita, research statement, and three letters of
recommendation to Jane Berry, Department of Psychology, University of
Richmond, Richmond, VA 23173. Review of applications will continue until the
position is filled. The University of Richmond is a highly selective private
university with approximately 3000 undergraduates located on a beautiful
campus six miles west of the heart of Richmond and in close proximity to the
Atlantic Ocean, the Blue Ridge Mountains, and Washington, D.C. The
University of Richmond is committed to developing a diverse workforce and
student body and to being an inclusive community. We strongly encourage
applications from candidates who will contribute to these goals. For more
information about our program, please visit http://psychology.richmond.edu