Wednesday, November 30, 2011

INFO: Apportionment Ballots!!

Dear Fellow Division 20 Members:

By now, y'all should have a snail-mailed apportionment ballot in hand - even those of us on the West Coast!  (Didn't get yours?  Send an email to:  gcoad@apa.org to request a replacement!)  All you have to do is apportion up to 10 points for Division 20 and mail it back by 12/15/11.

Why is this important?  Very simple – we can't adequately represent YOUR interests in APA and the larger community unless we have enough seats on Council, and the ONLY way we get those is through YOUR endorsement on the apportionment ballots.

We have been very active in representing your interests – in clinical and practice issues, research, and teaching.  This assures that our voice gets heard in larger APA efforts, from lobbying in Congress to ensure that psychologists (and  gero-psychologists!) get represented in the new health care legislation to battling to keep behavioral and social science funding at NIH and NSF.

 So, this year, give a little more to 20 by returning your ballot today!!

Best regards,

Carolyn Aldwin

President, APA Division 20
Professor & Director, Gerontology Program
Dept. of Human Development & Family Sciences
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97330
541 737-2024; 541 737-1076 (fax)

"Everything is connected with everything else; but not all things are connected by the short and straight roads we expected." -- C. S. Lewis

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

CONFERENCES: Cognitive Aging Conference

Don’t forget …  the deadline  for submitting abstracts for the 2012 Cognitive Aging Conference is December 2nd.   You can submit abstracts on the CAC webpage.      http://www.cos.gatech.edu/cac/

Monday, November 28, 2011

Re: iNFO: APA Congressional Fellowship Program's 2012-2013

I did the APA congressional fellowship a few years ago and it was wonderful.  I'd be happy to speak with anyone who might be interested in possibly applying.

Reply directly to me:  geropsychgah@aol.com

Thanks

Greg Hinrichsen

Sunday, November 27, 2011

INFO: Please help Division 20 increase its membership for 2011-2012!

Dear members of the APA Division 20 List-Serv,

As we end 2011, we are hoping to build on our excellent 2010-2011 membership year!  If you have not renewed your membership, please consider doing so or joining as a new member!  As a long-time member of the Division myself, membership has allowed me to enjoy the multitude of professional benefits of Division 20 including job opportunities, faculty development, research training, and networking contacts that will help me throughout my career.

Please visit the APA Division 20 membership page (
http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/join.htm) and fill out an application to join as a new member or a renewed member.  The membership page also provides a wealth detail of why membership in Division 20 is such a great professional opportunity.

In response to the need to create flexible membership options and encourage more robust participation in Division 20, we are excited to announce two new membership categories for new or current members:

1.  Professional affiliates are persons who, due to their proficiency in areas related to the mission of the Division, can contribute to the Division's objectives but do not hold membership in the American Psychological Association.

2.  International affiliates are also proficient in areas related to the mission of the Division and can contribute to the Division's objectives, but reside in a country outside of the United States.  International affiliates do not have to hold membership in the American Psychological Association to join Division 20.

Dues for both Professional and International Affiliates are the same as Divisional dues for full members (e.g., $44 per year), and confer many of the same benefits as Full Members, including subscriptions to Adult Development & Aging News as well as Psychology and Aging.  However, to reiterate: one does not have to join APA itself in order to be an Affiliate of Division 20!

To join as a Professional or International Affiliate, please go to http://memforms.apa.org/apa/cli/divapp/.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at the email or numbers below.

If you are a member, you will note on the APA Division 20 membership page that we have designed new brochures.  If you would like some brochures to post in your office or share with colleagues, please let me know and I would be happy to mail you some.  Please spread the word and encourage your colleagues to join.

If you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do to help facilitate your membership in APA Division 20, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Sincerely,

Joe Gaugler
Membership Chair
APA Division 20

_____________________

Joseph E. Gaugler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, McKnight Presidential Fellow
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Applied Gerontology
School of Nursing, Center on Aging
University of Minnesota
6-153 Weaver-Densford Hall, 1331
308 Harvard Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN  55455
Phone: 612-626-2485
Cell Phone: 651-605-5611
Fax: 612-625-7180
Email: gaug0015@umn.edu
http://www.nursing.umn.edu/FacultyStaffandPreceptors/GauglerJoseph/home.html
_____________________

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

JOBS: Lehman College -- C.U.N.Y., Department of Psychology

Department of Psychology, Lehman College, The City University of New York, invites applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant level. Salary range: $68,024 - $71,073 dependent upon credentials and experience. Preferred area of specialization is: (1) developmental psychology with a focus on adolescent, adulthood, or aging, or (2)  industrial/organizational psychology.  The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to publish in peer-reviewed research journals, establish a program of research that integrates non-traditional, multi-ethnic undergraduates into that research program, and evidence of effectiveness in teaching.  In addition, the candidate will fully participate in the life of the department and serve on committees.  Efforts to seek grant funding are strongly encouraged.  Candidates are expected to have a Ph.D. at time of appointment, a record of publication in peer-reviewed journals, and teaching experience.

Review of applicants will begin on December 31, 2011. Send cover letter, vita, and reprints/preprints to Professor Alan Kluger, Chair, Department of Psychology, Lehman College/CUNY, psych.job@lehman.cuny.edu.  Please be sure to attach all documents in pdf or Word format.  In addition, all applicants should arrange for three confidential letters of recommendation (referencing Job ID 4822) to be sent to either to the above e-mail address or mailed to:

Professor Alan Kluger

Department of Psychology

250 Bedford Park Blvd. West

Lehman College – CUNY

Bronx, NY  10468-1589

Lehman College/CUNY is an AA/EEO/ADA Employer.  For more information visit the Lehman College website at http://www.lehman.cuny.edu .

Suzanne Yates, PhD
Associate Professor and Deputy Chair, Psychology
Lehman College -- CUNY, 250 Bedford Park Blvd. West, Bronx, NY 10468
Phone: (718) 960-8685     FAX: (718) 960-8092
e-mail:  Suzanne.Yates@lehman.cuny.edu

Monday, November 21, 2011

CONFERENCES: Don't forget to submit for APA 2012

Greetings all from your 2012 program co-chairs, Ben Mast and myself, Monisha Pasupathi.

The deadline for submissions for the 2012 APA convention in Orlando, Florida, is fast approaching. Intellectual stimulation and beaches – what more could you want from a convention experience? You can even see Disneyworld afterwards! You can SNUB Disneyworld afterwards if that is more your cup of tea!

As a reminder, Division 20’s 2012 APA convention theme is “Bridging Aging Communities.” We especially welcome submissions that address aging and research, aging and clinical practice, and aging and diversity. I know that most of you do work that cuts across two or more of those themes – so your contributions and creativity could help us make this one of the best Division 20 programs ever!

Submissions are due December 1, 2011, via the APA website (http://www.apa.org/convention/proposals.aspx) . Historically, the division focuses its programming on symposia and posters and paper submissions are not considered.

We are very excited to see what Division members have been involved with in the past year! Questions and ideas may be directed to monisha.pasupathi@psych.utah.edu or b.mast@louisville.edu.

Best!

Monisha

Monisha Pasupathi, PhD

Associate Professor and Area Coordinator

Developmental Psychology

University of Utah

Friday, November 18, 2011

FUNDING: Integrated Health Care Funding Opportunity

FYI...

Dear APA Colleagues,

To advance APA’s priorities of integrated health care and workforce development, we would like to call your attention to the new Health Care Innovation Challenge, which was recently announced by the federal Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation.  This major initiative will award up to $1 billion in grants to applicants who will implement the most compelling new models to deliver “better health, improved care, and lower costs to people enrolled in Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP [Children’s Health Insurance Program], particularly those with the highest health care needs.”  Applicants are encouraged to include new models of workforce development and deployment that efficiently support their service delivery model proposal, along with enhanced infrastructure to support more cost-effective, system-wide functioning.

Individual grant awards will range from approximately $1 million to $30 million for a three-year period.  Funding will be directed to innovators who can deploy care improvement models within six months of the grant award through new or expanded efforts to serve new populations of patients, in conjunction (where possible) with other public and private sector partners.  Applications are open to providers, payers, local government, public-private partnerships, and multi-payer collaboratives.  Each project will be monitored for measurable improvements in quality of care and savings generated.

Potential applicants must submit a letter of intent by December 19, 2011, with applications due by January 27, 2012.  The anticipated award date is March 30, 2012.

To learn more about the Health Care Innovation Challenge and information about the application process, please read the Funding Opportunity Announcement.

To read an overview of the Health Care Innovation Challenge, including important deadlines, please read the Fact Sheet (PDF).

To submit your Letter of Intent to Apply to the Health Care Innovation Challenge, visit the LOI page.

For more information, please direct your questions to InnovationChallenge@cms.hhs.gov.

Diane Elmore, PhD, MPH

Associate Executive Director

Director, Congressional Fellowship Program

Government Relations Office

Public Interest Directorate
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242
Tel: 202.336.6104 |  Fax: 202.336.6063

email: delmore@apa.org | www.apa.org

Thursday, November 17, 2011

JOBS: Endowed Chair in Family Policy Studies

OPEN POSITION
Barbara Emily Knudson Endowed Chair in Family Policy Studies, College of Public Health and Human Sciences, Oregon State University.
The School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences invites applications for this 9-month tenured position at the rank of Professor. Application deadline: February 1, 2012. Anticipated start date: September 16, 2012.
Responsibilities and Qualifications (highlights): The Knudson Chair will continue a well-established, innovative and independent research program through application for and receipt of external funds and publications in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals; effectively teach undergraduate and graduate courses and mentor graduate students; and provide exceptional service to the college, OSU and the profession. As part of the research assignment, the Chair will provide leadership for multidisciplinary efforts in the Hallie Ford Center for Healthy Children & Families and will contribute to the development of a Master of Public Health in family and child/adolescent health. The Knudson Chair will help to lead and mentor faculty and build multidisciplinary teams to address critical issues surrounding family policy and the health outcomes of children, adolescents and/or youth. The candidate will have the academic background and expertise to meet expectations of Full Professor with indefinite tenure in the School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences. An earned doctorate in human development and/or family sciences or in a public health discipline with a focus on family, child or adolescent health, or a related field is required. For a full description of responsibilities and qualifications, as well as application instructions, see: http://health.oregonstate.edu/knudson
<http://health.oregonstate.edu/knudson>

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

JOBS: Department of Psychology, Western Kentucky University

Department of Psychology

Western Kentucky University

Experimental Psychology Position

The Department of Psychology at Western Kentucky University invites applications for an entry-level, tenure-track position in experimental psychology to begin August 15, 2012.  The position requires an earned doctorate (or completion by August 15, 2012) and has duties that include the development of a productive research program that engages students, graduate and undergraduate teaching, and supervision of master's theses. We are seeking candidates with a research specialization in some aspect of psychology and aging. The Department is in the process of acquiring a new, 128-channel integrated ERP/EEG and eye-tracking system and candidates with ERP experience are especially invited to apply. This position is part of a cluster of strategic hires intended to build on the University's current strengths in psychology of aging and gerontology research. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be received by February 1, 2012 for priority consideration. Send letter of application, vitae, three letters of recommendation, reprints/preprints, and copies of graduate transcripts to the chair of the search committee by email to psych@wku.edu, or by mail to Department of Psychology, Western Kentucky University, 1906 College heights Blvd., #21030, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1030. WKU is committed to promotion of stewardship and student engagement. WKU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

INFO: Division 20: Give us your apportionment votes!

Division 20 Adult Development and Aging needs your apportionment votes

Division 20 works in the best interests of aging across all areas of psychology.

Keep our voice strong in the Council of Representatives. We need your apportionment vote for Division 20 to keep our 2 Council Seats.

You will receive your APA Apportionment Ballot soon. Your votes will determine the composition of the APA Council of Representatives for the next year.  The Council of Representatives is the governance body in APA that sets policies throughout the association. Division 20's ability to represent aging issues makes a difference all areas including practice, policy, research, and training.  We have managed to hold onto our second Council seat but last year, we came close to losing it. If you and every other Division 20 member gave us all 10 votes, we could even gain a third seat. However, the truth is that most people don't actually submit their votes. You pay your APA dues, and you've earned the right to represent our division in the association!

If you gave us 1 vote last year, give us 3 this year; if you gave us 3, give us 5--- you get the idea!  Just 1 or 2 more votes from each of our members would ensure our continued representation.

Of course, if you gave us 10, thank you, and please keep up your support!

On behalf of my fellow Division 20 Council Representative, K. Warner Schaie, and I, thank you for your attention!

Best,

Susan

--
Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology and Director, Office of National Scholarship Advisement

INFO: AGS Beers Criteria - Open Comment Period

FYI…

Deborah DiGilio| Director, Office on Aging
Public Interest Directorate
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242
Tel: (202) 336-6135 |  Fax: (202) 336-6040
email: ddigilio@apa.org |
www.apa.org/pi/aging

Notice that Pubic Comment is Open

AGS Updated 2011 Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults Draft Now Posted for Public Comment

The AGS Updated Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults (AGS Beers Criteria) is now available on the America Geriatrics Society (AGS) website for public comment.  The public comment period will be open until 5:00pm ET on November, 28, 2011.  Please note, the AGS is not accepting comments via any other mechanism.

Last updated in 2003, the Beers Criteria catalogues medications that may potentially cause side effects in the older population due to the physiologic changes of aging. The Criteria are intended to be used by physicians and healthcare providers who treat older adults, to inform the appropriate and safe use of pharmaceutical agents in complex older patients.  Over the years, the Criteria have been used to inform a number of efforts to improve quality of care for older adults.

In 2011, AGS undertook the update of the Beers list upon being alerted by AGS leaders and other stakeholders with an interest in quality care for older adults that the Criteria needed to be updated to reflect current evidence and best practice.  To that end, AGS convened an expert panel that reviewed available evidence as a part of its consensus process for revising these recommendations.

The updated Criteria address three primary areas:

1. Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Persons: Independent of Diagnoses or Conditions

2. Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Persons Due To Drug – Disease/ Syndrome Interaction

3. Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Persons: Drugs to be used with caution

The AGS is soliciting comments from a wide range of stakeholders with an interest in ensuring that older adults receive the highest quality care possible.  To that end, the draft criteria will be available for review on the AGS Website (http://www.americangeriatrics.org/health_care_professionals/ags_beers_criteria) until November 28, 2011.

AWARDS: Student & Postdoc Travel Awards for 2012 APA Convention Due December 30

Dear Division 20 colleagues,

Division 20 is pleased to announce that it will be supporting up to three $500 Travel Awards for postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduate students to attend the 2012 APA Annual Convention in Orlando, FL!  Please help share the news by distributing this information to all interested and eligible individuals.

All postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduate students are eligible who have first-authored an APA submission. There will be one award available at each of the 3 levels. For postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduate students interested in competing for this new travel award, please attach a copy of your submitted APA abstract/proposal in an email to Cory Bolkan at d20awardstu@gmail.com by Friday, December 30th, 2011.

For more information about the award categories available from Division 20, visit http://apadiv20.phhp.ufl.edu/.  Please note that the Division 20 award website is being updated about these new Travel Awards.

We look forward to receiving your applications for the new Division 20 Travel Awards and seeing you at the 2012 APA Convention in Orlando, FL!

Sincerely,

Lisa McGuire & Cory Bolkan
Awards Committee Co-Chairs

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

STUDENTS: Graduate Openings in the Cognitive Science of Teaching and Learning

The Cognitive Science of Teaching and Learning division in the Department of Educational Psychology at the University of Illinois has graduate openings for Fall 2012.

Learning in its many forms -- across life contexts and through the life span -- is the central to health and well-being. Faculty in the Cognitive Science of Teaching and Learning division in Educational Psychology conduct basic and applied research on the cognitive science of learning and effective instruction.  Students in our program take coursework in three foundational areas of inquiry, (1) basic principles of learning and their application to instruction, (2) psycholinguistics, reading, discourse, and learning from text, and (3) sociocultural contexts for learning; and engage in mentored research with faculty. Interdisciplinary collaboration is encouraged. Active areas of research currently include science and math education, language comprehension, bilingualism, collaborative reasoning, reading and literacy through the adult life span, health literacy, and cognitive aging and enrichment.

More information can be found at http://education.illinois.edu/edpsy/index.html, or contact Liz Stine-Morrow at eals@illinois.edu.

Deadline on online application: December 1, 2011

Elizabeth A. L. Stine-Morrow
Professor of Educational Psychology,
     Psychology, and the Beckman Institute
226 Education Building
1310 S. Sixth Street
Champaign, IL 61820

(217) 244-2167 (office)
(217) 244-7336 (lab)
(217) 244-7620 (fax)

Monday, November 14, 2011

STUDENTS--Graduate Study in Adult Development and Aging at Penn State University

Opportunities for Graduate Studies in Adult Development and Aging at Penn State University

The Department of Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) at Penn State University has a long and distinguished record of doctoral training in adult development and aging.  Students can develop specializations in one or more areas, including cognitive development, daily stress and health, family and social relationships in adulthood, work-family linkages, interventions, and methodologies for studying development and change. For more information about aging research, please visit the Center for Healthy Aging web page (healthyaging.psu.edu), as well as the HDFS web page (http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/hdfs/grad/index.html). Adult development and aging program faculty include:

David Almeida - Stress processes, adult development, family factors in mental health, work and family linkages, fatherhood

Melissa Hardy - Work and retirement, public policy, political attitudes, women's issues and aging, older workers

Steven Zarit - Mental health and aging, especially the stress of caregivers, functioning of the oldest old, innovative models of service delivery

Kelly Davis-work and family linkages, workplace policies and practices, parent-child and couple relationships

Alan Booth - Divorce and remarriage, blended families, marital quality, hormones and family process, adult child-parent relations

David Eggebeen –Intergenerational support over the life course; fatherhood

Lynn Martire – Family relationships and management of chronic illness in adulthood; couple-oriented interventions; chronic pain; late-life depression

Peter Molenaar – Single subject time series analysis, optimal guidance of developmental processes, optimal control of disease processes, analysis of brain imaging data

Nilam Ram – changes in the psychological processes of emotion, cognition, and personality, and how they develop over the life span

Michael Rovine – Structural equation modeling with longitudinal data, time series models applied to single subjects and small sample designs

Martin Sliwinski -- Stress, health and cognitive aging; linking daily experiences to long-term development; analysis of intraindividual variability and change

A variety of sources of financial assistance are available for doctoral students.  These include research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships.  We have been very successful in funding students throughout their entire time in the Program.

Applications are due January 10, 2012

For more information about admissions procedures, students should contact Mary Jo Spicer, Dept. of Human Development and Family Studies, Henderson S-211, Penn State University, University Park, PA 16802.  Phone 814-863-8001.  E-mail mjs6@psu.edu, or consult the Department's web page at http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/hdfs/grad/index.html

Steven H. Zarit
Professor and Head,
Department of Human Development and Family Studies
Henderson S-211
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802

Phone: 814.865-5260